Word keeps freezing on i-pad since latest update, and I have tried all the suggestions on the forums. Why have we heard nothing from Microsoft?

Suzy 0 Reputation points
2026-09-27T15:44:57.76+00:00

Since the recent IOS update Word, which was completely fine before, keeps freezing every few seconds. I have tried the fixes on this and other forums (short of a factory reset) but nothing helps. I’m paying quite a lot for my subscription and I NEED it. It’s clearly a problem many people have encountered since the update.

Why haven’t we heard anything helpful from Microsoft about sorting out a bug fix? When can we expect to?

I’m so frustrated, and I don’t seem to be able to get an actual person from Microsoft to talk to - I’m directed back to routine stuff and the forums. I’m just kind of hoping that posting this will help raise the issue up their agenda, I suppose.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | iOS
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS_726 30,260 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-03T00:03:14.4266667+00:00

    Hello,

    This appears to be an emerging issue with Word on iPad/iPhone after the recent updates. I am seeing multiple users reporting the same behavior: Word gets stuck while saving, changes may not be retained, and it can happen whether the file is stored locally or in OneDrive/other cloud storage.

    I haven't found an official Microsoft acknowledgement or fix yet.

    As a temporary workaround, if possible, try opening the document using Word for the web in Safari or Chrome. Other affected users have reported that the browser version is still able to save normally.

    Please also make sure you use the in-app Help & Feedback feature to report this bug.

    I want to take a minute to stress how important sending feedback is, especially for issue that is clearly there but still not being acknowledged by Msft.

    Submitting feedback is important because it gives Microsoft’s product team direct evidence that an issue is affecting real users. Forum posts are useful for troubleshooting, but they do not always reach the engineers responsible for the product.

    Feedback submitted through the app can include details such as the app version, device/OS information, diagnostics, and the specific feature involved. It also helps Microsoft see how many users are reporting the same problem. The more consistent reports they receive, the easier it is to identify a pattern, prioritize the issue, reproduce it internally, and eventually issue a fix.

    So even if someone has already reported the same bug, it is still worth submitting feedback. Multiple reports help show that it is not an isolated case.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Dio Xavier 296.5K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-27T16:22:19.88+00:00

    Hey there.

    Welcome to the Microsoft 365 and Office Community.

    Good morning, Suzy. I am sorry to hear about this issue. To better understand what is happening with your app on iOS, we need some information:

    1. What is your iOS version?

    2. Does the problem occur only with Microsoft 365 apps?

    3. Did the problem start after an app update? What is your Microsoft 365 version? To check:

    a. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.

    b. Tap General. Select iPhone (or iPad) Storage.

    c. Wait for the list of apps to load and tap the specific Microsoft app.

    d. The current version number will appear right below the app name.

    Looking forward to your reply...

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.