Microsoft account still signed in on my phone, but Microsoft says the account does not exist

insane 10 0 Reputation points
2026-09-27T13:01:32.57+00:00

I am trying to recover an old Microsoft account, but Microsoft's recovery system says that the email address does not exist.

The unusual part is that the account is still signed in and active on my Android phone. In Microsoft account settings, the phone shows my account name, the account email address, Sync enabled, Microsoft Password Manager with saved data, and other account information.

However, when I try to use Microsoft's Account Recovery Form, entering the same email address gives:

“The Microsoft account you've entered does not exist.”

Because of this, I cannot even submit the recovery form.

I have already gone through Microsoft's Sign-in Support / account recovery support as well. That process did not resolve the issue. I was repeatedly asked to provide additional information to verify ownership and was eventually directed toward the Account Recovery Form, but I cannot complete that form because Microsoft says the account does not exist in the first place.

I also contacted Microsoft Account Safety directly. They asked me to provide additional information such as IP addresses, payment information, account contents, Xbox information, account history, and other details. I provided the information I could, but the process ultimately led back to the same recovery form that I cannot submit.

I do not own an Xbox console, but I previously used Xbox services on Windows with this Microsoft account. I also had Minecraft associated with the account.

I can provide additional ownership information privately to Microsoft, including previous account information, approximate creation date, recent login information, IP information, and my Xbox gamertag.

How can I get this escalated or have Microsoft investigate the account when the account is still authenticated on my phone but the recovery system says it does not exist?

I can provide screenshots showing the active Microsoft account session on my phone if needed.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ian-T 13,100 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-28T00:40:56.3166667+00:00

    Hi @insane 10

    I’m sorry you have been sent through the same recovery steps repeatedly. Since the account is still authenticated on your Android phone, but Microsoft’s recovery systems report that the same address does not exist, this appears to require review through your existing Microsoft Support case rather than another attempt at the recovery form.

    Please do not sign out, remove the account, clear the Microsoft app data, reset the phone, or uninstall Authenticator while the session remains active. Back up any accessible files, passwords, contacts, purchase information, and Xbox or Minecraft details first. A signed-in session does not itself bypass Microsoft’s ownership verification, but screenshots showing the account address, profile name, sync status, and active Microsoft services may be useful evidence.

    When replying to the existing support case, clearly ask for the issue to be reviewed as an account identity or alias mismatch, not as another failed recovery-form submission. Include:

    • The exact email address shown on the phone.
    • The exact “account does not exist” message and where it appears.
    • Screenshots from the active phone session, with unrelated personal information hidden.
    • The Xbox gamertag, frequently used console hardware ID, Minecraft purchase details, previous passwords, and relevant receipts.
    • The existing support case or escalation number.

    If Microsoft Support determines that the account was taken over or its sign-in alias was changed, internal guidance provides an escalation path to the Microsoft Account Safety team for qualifying account-takeover cases. However, that escalation must be initiated by the support advocate handling the case and cannot be opened from this user-to-user forum.

    Please note that Microsoft Q&A forum members and moderators cannot access account records, inspect the phone session, accept ownership documents, or escalate the case directly. The practical next step is therefore to continue through the existing case and request that the contradiction between the active phone account and the “account does not exist” result be specifically investigated.

    Thank you for your understanding and time

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.