Windows 10 September Update KB5122878 causes No Operating System found on Acer laptop

John Price 65 Reputation points
2026-09-26T15:11:05.03+00:00

KB5122878 after many reinstallations of Windows 10 ESU consistently crashes a friends Acer laptop. Currently I have left this laptop not enabling ESU updates (KB126256) as I have failed to stop the KB5122878 update installing many times. Am I missing something? Can I stop this one killer update downloading and installing? I have already made the registry edit to stop WindowsUpdate, although I am not confident it works. Any suggestions to save this laptop as safely as possible, currently relying on Malwarebytes.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Answer accepted by question author
SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-30T14:58:27.5366667+00:00

I see, I think your problem is resolved now and no action is required from your end.

Wanted to ask if you have any other questions?

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-30T08:18:15.7333333+00:00

I have now installed the rogue KB5122878 🙂

That is actually the latest update :)

By any chance, are you from the EU? That may explain why enrollment in ESU was not needed.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

Answer accepted by question author
SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-29T16:43:10.81+00:00

I also did research on the issue, and it seems that you are right :( There are some specific models before 2016 which aren't compatiable, sorry :(

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

6 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John Price 65 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T16:52:58.15+00:00

    I have now installed the rogue KB5122878 🙂

    I disabled secure boot in the BIOS, see link.

    Safer than leaving it at pre ESU, maybe?

    HEY HO!

    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/738647/the-truth-about-the-secure-boot-update-warning-hardware-firmware-limitations-on-legacy-systems

    Thanks for all your help and tips., invaluable to point me in the right direction.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-28T14:52:29.5533333+00:00

    Hi,

    I think the Secure Boot thing might be unrelated to this.

    Can you see if updating BIOS helps?

    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/510-how-to-update-your-bios-on-an-acer-notebook-computer

    Follow these instructions please.

    Standard 3rd party link disclaimer:

    There may be links to non-Microsoft websites that provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on websites frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers, as they sometimes do more harm than good.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.