Glitch in the "Screen new senders" function in Outlook for Android

Holly 0 Reputation points
2026-09-25T06:27:25.3466667+00:00

Help! The "Screen new senders" function on my Outlook mobile app for Android keeps saying "Something went wrong" whenever I try to allow or block new emails...I can't get rid of them at all, they're stuck in screening "purgatory"! I tried turning the screening function off in the settings, which works, but when I turn it back on, they're all there again...the same ones! I even uninstalled the app and then reinstalled it...set it all back up and signed back in, etc., and they were STILL THERE!! 😡 I like the screening function, but I can't use it like this obviously. 😒 How can I get rid of those "stuck" emails so it'll allow me to either block or allow new senders?? All it keeps saying is "Something went wrong", which of course is not helpful at all...thanks in advance for any advice! 🙏🏻

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For home
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Vikki-T 11,245 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-25T11:24:30.45+00:00

    Hi Holly,

    Thank you for explaining everything you have already tried. I can understand how frustrating this must be, especially when the same messages return even after reinstalling and setting up the app again.

    Could you please confirm whether you are using a personal Outlook.com, Hotmail, or Live account, and let me know your Outlook app version and Android version?

    In the meantime, please try the following:

    • In Outlook for Android, open Settings, select the affected account, and then select Sender Screening > Manage Senders.
    • Check both the Allowed and Blocked lists to see whether the affected senders appear there and can be moved or removed.
    • Sign in to Outlook on the web and open Settings > Mail > Junk email. Check whether the same senders appear under Safe senders and domains or Blocked senders and domains, then remove or update them if necessary.
    • Return to Outlook for Android and test the screening action again.

    If the same “Something went wrong” message continues, please report it from within Outlook under Settings > Help & Feedback > Contact Support. Include a screenshot of the error, your Outlook app version, and mention that the entries remain after reinstalling the app. This will help the Outlook mobile support team investigate the account’s screening state more closely. Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. My role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas. I know this isn't the news you were hoping for, but I wanted to make sure you got the most accurate information about your situation. 

    Please let me know what you find in Manage Senders and on Outlook Web. Thank you so much for your understanding.   


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.