Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
What are these licenses' full names? Pro Plus, LTSC or standard??
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Help, KB5002907 is removing the active valid licenses for Office 2016 and 2019 products. I have a valid license for Office 2016 PRO (Lifetime License) and it was removed by the Office 365 update. When will Microsoft pull the update and correct the issue?
Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
We are experiencing the same issue on multiple PCs with legitimate perpetual Office Home & Business 2016 and 2019 licenses.
After KB5002907 is installed through Windows Update, the existing Office installation appears to lose or alter its activation/licensing status.
According to Microsoft's KB5002907 documentation, this update is intended for out-of-date Microsoft 365 Apps installations, while the affected PCs in our case have perpetual Office 2016/2019 installations.
Can Microsoft please confirm whether KB5002907 is being incorrectly offered to perpetual Office installations and whether this is currently being investigated?
We can provide Office builds, Windows builds, licensing status and OSPP.VBS /dstatus output from affected machines if required.
our household budgets etc run on excel and other office products 2016 version , which are now crippled, is there a fix for this or a role back of the up date , I have fully licenced products that i can no longer use
Reinstall Office (if necessary) and reactivate your license. See the Important notice in the updated article at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/servicing/os/microsoft-365/kb5002907-optional-update-for-out-of-date-microsoft-365-apps-installations . I have posted a similar reply elsewhere in the thread with a screen shot. Good luck.
Hi M C:
For more information see the 26-Sep-2026 Neowin article Microsoft shares fix as KB5002907 accidentally breaks licenses, deletes Windows Office apps and the 26-Sep-2026 BleepingComputer article Microsoft pauses KB5002907 update after Office license deactivations.
My “perpetual” retail edition of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R was affected by this bug after an automatic Windows Update delivered an update on 24-Sep-2026 called “Click-to-Run Update Support“ that was NOT optional (i.e., entering wmic qfe | find “KB5002907” in an elevated command prompt shows I did not receive the optional KB5002907 described in those articles). See my 24-Sep-2026 post # 2880629 in Richard Mitnick’s Office Updates in the AskWoody forum for further details.
My retail edition of MS Office 2019 C2R reached end of support on 14-Oct-2025 and the release history <here> still shows that Version 2508 / Build 19127.20302 (rel. 14-Oct-2025) is latest available version, but since the forced re-install and re-activation on 24-Sep-2026 my product is now at Version 2508 / Build 19127.20800 (a.k.a. v16.0.19127.20800).
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.7725 * Firefox v156.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.26080.4-1.1.26080.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.7.1.346-165.0.5751 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R Version 2508 / Build 19127.20800
I still have no access to MS Office 2016 PRO (Lifetime License), and I have until tomorrow 29 SEPT 26, to input key, which I cannot find. Also, the Microsoft shares fix as KB5002907 accidentally breaks licenses, deletes Windows Office apps wasn't added to my system as an update.
I still have no access to MS Office 2016 PRO (Lifetime License), and I have until tomorrow 29 SEPT 26, to input key, which I cannot find. Also, the Microsoft shares fix as KB5002907 accidentally breaks licenses, deletes Windows Office apps wasn't added to my system as an update.
If your system never installed the faulty update, the license problem you experienced may have a different cause. I recommend that you start your own thread. Use the Ask a question option. If you already started your own thread, please post follow-ups there. Good luck.
Is there a class action lawsuit about this?
I got Office 2019 when I bought my computer from an electronics store locally. It has worked fine for years until this update. It is frozen asking for the pass key. I called the shop I bought my computer from and they are out of business and never provided me with the key.
I have tried everything posted by Ai and nothing works. It now shows my product as UNLICENCED. It wont even work when my computer is off-line. This feels criminal on the part of Microsoft. I even spent hours with a Microsoft technician and gave him access to my computer. He eventually just disconnected me from the conversation telling me I was SOL.
From my research it is this (Click-to-Run installs are designed to "phone home" every ~30 days to re-verify the license) that appears to be the technical trick that they use to not really sell you an Office program that will last the lifetime of your computer. It is criminal in my mind that they are allowed to disable a program like this.
Greg Billingsly,
If the cause of trouble is the Microsoft update discussed in this thread, all you have to do is reactivate your installation using your associated Microsoft account.
What are these licenses' full names? Pro Plus, LTSC or standard??
It also happened to my Office Professional Plus 2019. I need it put back since Microsoft has stolen my application that I bought!
MS Office Professional Plus 2016, personal product. Reddit Microsoft Office thread is starting to get lots of individuals with the same issue.
How was the Pro Plus product obtained? From third party? Pro Plus is NOT personal license or lifetime license. These are volume licenses.
These licenses are managed by an organization’s IT department and are tied to a contract between the organization who purchased it and Microsoft. Because of how volume licensing works, activation may depend on things like installation limits or periodic validation through an organization’s KMS server. Those processes require IT support from the organization that owns the license. That is why these licenses are not meant to be sold to individuals. Home users typically do not have access to the IT infrastructure needed to manage or maintain them. Unfortunately, some third-party sellers offer these licenses at very low prices by reselling them, which is violation of licensing terms. They may seem like a good deal, but these keys can be blocked by Microsoft when discovered, or these keys can be voided when these organizations terminated their accounts with Microsoft. Most buyers are not aware of these details until problems happen.
Mine is through HUP, which is fully legal and permanent.
HUP permenant license, still employee of company purchased through.
Ok, HUP purchase is different story then. This information should have been disclosed.
Do you still have access to the product key? If not, you can use this page ot help find it.
Please expand the first item at the FAQ section at the bottom of that page for further instructions. Depends on when you purchased the license, the instruction to access the key is different.
=======
If Office is still installed but says Unlicensed Product, open Word or Excel > File > Account > Change Product Key and enter the original HUP key.
If KB5002907 actually removed Office, reinstall the exact edition that was purchased- such as Office Professional Plus 2016 or Professional Plus 2019—using the HUP/Workplace Discount Program recovery path, then activate with that original key. See instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/lifecycle/install-or-reinstall-office-or-microsoft-365-through-microsoft-workplace-discount-program
See if that recovers the activation.
I did reinstall my key and for now it shows validated but there is still a significant issue with KB5002907. It should not have removed the key in the first place.
Does your 2016/19 UI have the Help > Feedback > Report a problem option? If so, make sure you submit this feedback.
I don't see any documented known issue yet with this particular behavior, but it can be an emerging issue. Your feedback can help bring this to product team's attention quicker.
Just tell them to take a look at the Reddit Microsoft Office sub. Comments on the issue are being posted pretty frequently since the release of KB5002907
Just FYI - The threads on this issue that I am tracking:
[All of the following Links are to an External Non-Microsoft Site]
https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftoffice/comments/1wp5w7n/office_uninstalled_on_windows_update/
https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftoffice/comments/1wpb0qc/microsoft_office_home_and_business_2016_na
If the problem remains, make sure that you report it to Microsoft, via Help > Feedback and/or in the portal at https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/ .
Thanks for the links. I have replied in another thread as well.
I'm not sure of the version I have, probably student or home. All I have is the product key.
I'm not sure of the version I have, probably student or home. All I have is the product key.
Nowadays, most versions of Office are associated with a Microsoft account. You should be able to reinstall from your account at https://account.microsoft.com/services (if necessary), and then use the account credentials to reactivate the product once it is properly (re-)installed (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/accounts-billing/subscriptions/sign-in-to-microsoft-365).
If the affected version is a one-time purchase ("perpetual") license, see also https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/activate-microsoft-perpetual-products-using-the-product-activation-portal .
Thank you Stefan, I fear I'm coming across here as the amateur I truly am. I followed your suggestion but apparently the code I have is short 5 characters: 8 groups of 5 instead of 9. A product key perhaps? It's not listed in my microsoft account so I probably purchased it elsewhere. My optimism for a timely fix is fading. Thanks for your input. My account only lists purchases 7 years or newer and we're talking about Office 2016.
You can't reuse the product key if you have already redeemed it. As I wrote, use your associated account instead. Reinstall Office, if the program has become uninstalled, and activate by signing in.
Is it not possible to simply uninstall the update that caused the problem?
Is it not possible to simply uninstall the update that caused the problem?
It won't be that easy after Office has become deactivated, I'm afraid.
Yes my friend, I'm discovering that. When I try to uninstall the update from the cmd prompt, the response is that kb5002907 isn't installed. However my installed update history would beg to differ. So once AGAIN! It appears the Deathstar has left me with few options: wait for an update that corrects the issue or purchase something more recent.
Does that mean that reactivation no longer works for you? Or does it initially work and then you have to repeat the procedure, for the same installation/license?
I think it does. It appears the only key I have is a one time activation key. I have Office 2013 on CD but it won't install because it sees the newer 2016 version still installed in the Microsoft programs folder. I could remove the 2016 folder but then I'd be SOL if/when Microsoft comes up with a patch for KB500297. So for the moment it would appear I can only access my Word docs using the online version of the program. Buying 365 is an option but there's a lot about that product I don't need or I'm opposed to. Work around. Modern life for now.
I have passed on the info that reactivation may only be a temporary solution. Beyond that, I suspect all we can do for now is to wait. :-(
Never mind. Duh!
Does that mean that you see progress, after all? Good news, if that is the case.
No progress. It means the response I got from Chat Support was as expected. If I'm not mistaken, the rollout of KB500297 has been paused. Perhaps a fix is in the works? Thank you for your interest.
Perhaps a fix is in the works?
The bug is still being investigated, so there are chances of a permanent fix in the future.
Is system reset/restore to a Security Update just prior to the download of KB5002097 a viable workaround? Then pass on KB5002097 if it pops up again as a required download? My system doesn't automatically suggest restore points. How should a restore point be written? Syntax? Thx.
Using system restore will only help if you have a restore point created from before the faulty update was installed (and, obviously, from a time when Office was working correctly). If you see no saved restore points, you are out of luck, as far as I can tell. Maybe it would be worth asking more about system restore in the Windows category of Q&A, though.
Understood. Do you know how to manually uninstall office? the office uninstall tool can't find any versions of office but when I try to install office 2013 from CD it fails because an "newer version is installed".
As reported elsewhere by EmilyS_726, see the updated version of the KB article at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/servicing/os/microsoft-365/kb5002907-optional-update-for-out-of-date-microsoft-365-apps-installations .
In particular, there is an Important notice which describes how certain Office installations may become deactivated. The workaround is to reactivate affected installations (reinstall first, if necessary). The screen shot below is from the article.
since the update I cannot use office. How can I reinstall office professional plus 2019 without a product key?
since the update I cannot use office. How can I reinstall office professional plus 2019 without a product key?
In most cases you reinstall using your associated Microsoft account at https://account.microsoft.com/services .
However, the details may depend on how you purchased Office Professional Plus 2019. For example, if the purchase was made via the HUP (Home Use Program), see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/workplace-discount-program/order-history?msockid=16f825d26fb0601c2ee232a46e41616e .
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
I no longer had the media for my installation of Office 2019 pro+, and it didn't show in my account for some reason, but my 2019 business did. Even after removing everything after this MS screw up, and then installing the 2019 Business software that shows associated with my account, the Click to Run 5 day trial still shows as only software on my machine! How do I get out of this loop?
I no longer had the media for my installation of Office 2019 pro+, and it didn't show in my account for some reason, but my 2019 business did. Even after removing everything after this MS screw up, and then installing the 2019 Business software that shows associated with my account, the Click to Run 5 day trial still shows as only software on my machine! How do I get out of this loop?
Business licenses may require other actions. Office Professional Plus 2019 may be a volume license; in that case, talk to the local Office admin in your organization/business. If you got this version via an employee discount, go to the order history page at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/workplace-discount-program/order-history .
For more, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/activate-microsoft-perpetual-products-using-the-product-activation-portal .
Good luck my friend. Sounds very similar to my predicament. I'm in debt to the folks on this Q and A page. They patiently walked me through every possible remedy imaginable unfortunately to no avail. I went round and round with the chat bot and phone support and got nowhere. The ownus is ultimately on me to prove the legitimacy of my claim. For now I'm using the online versions of Word and Excel hoping MS will push a fix for the damage done by KB5002907. To be clear, I'm definitely not holding my breath. Cynically I suspect the MS business plan is to get me into something subscription based and then leverage their backdoor cloud access to my files so they can process and sell my data in the new ai marketplace. What else?