KB5002907 is nuking valid licenses for Office 2016 and 2019 products

M C 30 Reputation points
2026-09-25T02:05:54.0733333+00:00

Help, KB5002907 is removing the active valid licenses for Office 2016 and 2019 products. I have a valid license for Office 2016 PRO (Lifetime License) and it was removed by the Office 365 update. When will Microsoft pull the update and correct the issue?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

7 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Greg Billingsly 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-02T17:52:23.6633333+00:00

    Is there a class action lawsuit about this?

    I got Office 2019 when I bought my computer from an electronics store locally. It has worked fine for years until this update. It is frozen asking for the pass key. I called the shop I bought my computer from and they are out of business and never provided me with the key.

    I have tried everything posted by Ai and nothing works. It now shows my product as UNLICENCED. It wont even work when my computer is off-line. This feels criminal on the part of Microsoft. I even spent hours with a Microsoft technician and gave him access to my computer. He eventually just disconnected me from the conversation telling me I was SOL.

    From my research it is this (Click-to-Run installs are designed to "phone home" every ~30 days to re-verify the license) that appears to be the technical trick that they use to not really sell you an Office program that will last the lifetime of your computer. It is criminal in my mind that they are allowed to disable a program like this.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Tony Torres 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T16:10:13.7266667+00:00

    I still have no access to MS Office 2016 PRO (Lifetime License), and I have until tomorrow 29 SEPT 26, to input key, which I cannot find. Also, the Microsoft shares fix as KB5002907 accidentally breaks licenses, deletes Windows Office apps wasn't added to my system as an update.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. lmacri 2,505 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T12:30:06.26+00:00

    Hi M C:

    For more information see the 26-Sep-2026 Neowin article Microsoft shares fix as KB5002907 accidentally breaks licenses, deletes Windows Office apps and the 26-Sep-2026 BleepingComputer article Microsoft pauses KB5002907 update after Office license deactivations.

    My “perpetual” retail edition of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R was affected by this bug after an automatic Windows Update delivered an update on 24-Sep-2026 called “Click-to-Run Update Support“ that was NOT optional (i.e., entering wmic qfe | find “KB5002907” in an elevated command prompt shows I did not receive the optional KB5002907 described in those articles). See my 24-Sep-2026 post # 2880629 in Richard Mitnick’s Office Updates in the AskWoody forum for further details.

    1 - Windows Update Install Click-to-Run Update Support 24 Sep 2026

    My retail edition of MS Office 2019 C2R reached end of support on 14-Oct-2025 and the release history <here> still shows that Version 2508 / Build 19127.20302 (rel. 14-Oct-2025) is latest available version, but since the forced re-install and re-activation on 24-Sep-2026 my product is now at Version 2508 / Build 19127.20800 (a.k.a. v16.0.19127.20800).

    MS Office Home and Business 2019 v2508 Build 19127_20800 Account About Excel 22 Sep 2026


    Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.7725 * Firefox v156.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.26080.4-1.1.26080.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.7.1.346-165.0.5751 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R Version 2508 / Build 19127.20800

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.