URGENT: Unauthorized Microsoft 365 Business Standard Renewal — Cannot Access Account or Cancel Subscription

Noah 0 Reputation points
2026-09-24T19:00:52.3833333+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support,

I am requesting immediate assistance with a Microsoft 365 Business Standard subscription that was renewed on September 8, 2026, under the name The Masters University.

I have had no choice but to dispute the charge on my credit card because I have been unable to access the account or obtain help from Microsoft. I need to ensure this subscription is canceled and does not renew or charge me again next year.

Here is my situation:

  • I have a personal Microsoft account and a student account through The Master's University.
  • I already paid approximately $200 for my personal Office product key.
  • My personal account shows an Office Home purchase dated August 17, 2026, with order number [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed].
  • My personal account does not show a Microsoft 365 Business Standard subscription.
  • My personal account does not show a credit card on file for this business subscription.
  • The renewal email states that Microsoft 365 Business Standard was renewed on September 8, 2026, under the account name The Masters University, with a credit card billing profile.
  • I contacted The Master's University's IT department because they are listed as the administrator of the school account. They told me they cannot help.
  • When I sign in to my school account, I cannot access order history or payment settings because I am not the administrator.

I need Microsoft to help resolve the following:

  1. Identify the Microsoft 365 Business Standard subscription and its billing account. Please determine which tenant, account, or billing profile is associated with the September 8, 2026 renewal.
  2. Stop all future renewals and recurring charges. I need written confirmation that this subscription will not renew or charge my credit card again.
  3. Investigate the September 8, 2026 charge. I did not knowingly authorize this renewal, and I cannot access the billing account to manage it.
  4. Help me reach the appropriate billing or account administrator at Microsoft. The university's IT department has said they cannot assist, and I cannot resolve this through my personal or school account.
  5. Please explain what documentation you need from me to verify the charge, identify the payment method, and process any refund that may be available.

I understand that the school account may have administrative restrictions. However, I need Microsoft to provide a clear path to resolve the billing issue and prevent another charge.

This situation has been incredibly frustrating. I have already tried to get assistance through the university and Microsoft account interfaces, and I need this escalated to someone who can actually investigate the billing and cancellation issue.

Please provide a case number and written confirmation of the next steps.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-L 19,920 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-24T19:30:09.3933333+00:00

    Dear Noah,

    I'm sorry you have been sent between accounts without a way to identify the subscription. Unfortunately, as a forum moderator, I am not able to look up the billing account or cancel the subscription for you. My role here is limited to general guidance you can apply from your side.

    The renewal notice shows the subscription sits under a business tenant named The Masters University, but that does not necessarily mean it is the university's main tenant. It could be a separate tenant created during an earlier signup with that organization name entered at setup.

    First, search your mailbox, including junk and archive, for the original Microsoft welcome or purchase confirmation. It usually contains the admin email address the subscription was created under, which is the single most useful piece of evidence here.

    It is still worth going back to the university's IT team, as they may have declined without actually checking. This time ask them specifically to look up the subscription in the Microsoft 365 admin center under Billing > Your products, confirm whether it exists in their tenant, and if it does, turn off recurring billing and cancel it. The steps are here: Cancel your Microsoft business subscription

    If they confirm it is not in their tenant, then the subscription belongs to a separate tenant and only Microsoft billing support can trace it. For business accounts, the best way to reach them is by phone. You can refer to this article to see the customer support phone number for your region. 

    Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

    Here are some tips and a sample response to help you navigate the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system more effectively: 

    In some countries the call is handled by an automated system, which tends to cut people off if the answers do not match what it expects. Here is a flow that generally works better: 

    IVR: What kind of problem do you have? 

    You: Subscription

    IVR: What kind of product do you use? 

    You: Office 365 for business. 

    IVR confirmation: education or business account?  

    You: For Business 

    IVR: Are you an administrator? 

    You: Yes. 

    IVR: Is there another administrator in your organization? 

    You: No. 

    IVR: Do you need a... service request? 

    You: Yes, please connect me with the Data Protection team. 

    Kindly note that you may need to repeat this process a few times, availability can vary based on local business hours, and the term "Global Admin" should be clearly mentioned during the call. 

    I truly hope you get your issue resolved swiftly. Please know that even though I can't directly intervene, directing you to the correct, specialized support is the most effective help I can provide from my position. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please let me know if you need anything else. Wishing you all the best. 

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.