Stuck with persistent system pop-up to review recovery methods

v j 30 Reputation points
2026-09-17T19:03:48.42+00:00

Recently and when signing into my email, the system persistently prompts me to review my recovery methods, even though I've done it numerous times.

How do I get out of this annoying loop?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

6 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. v j 30 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T05:25:45.4566667+00:00

    I appreciate all the comments/responses.

    In response to Hornblower409's comment that it's my browser, I did state early on that it made no differene whiat browser I was using or if I was in private mode.

    In response to thesimslover298-36's comment and as Hornblower409 noted above, it's a dup; however, I did already try making some change (and reverting it later) but it made no difference.

    However, the pop-up's have stopped happening consistently and now happens most of the time, instead of all the time. Mabye it will eventually go away, as Javier Luna noted above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. v j 30 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T05:24:47.0166667+00:00

    I appreciate all the comments/responses.

    In response to Hornblower409's comment that it's my browser, I did state early on that it made no differene whiat browser I was using or if I was in private mode.

    In response to thesimslover298-36's comment and as Hornblower409 noted above, it's a dup; however, I did already try making some change (and reverting it later) but it made no difference.

    However, the pop-up's have stopped happening consistently and now happens most of the time, instead of all the time. Mabye it will eventually go away, as Javier Luna noted above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. thesimslover298-36 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T04:22:18.97+00:00

    Hi all,

    I was finally able to resolve the issue today. My issue began last week, and the prompts would often reappear even after I closed them while remaining in Outlook on the web. This occurred in multiple browsers.

    As shown in my screenshot below, all of my sign-in and verification methods were already marked as Up to date, yet I continued receiving the recovery notice. Signing out of my Microsoft account did not help either, as the issue persisted after I signed back in.

    While using the regular Outlook on the web session, not a private browsing session, I removed my recovery email address and that immediately resolved the problem. I even added back the same email address, and the prompts still have not returned.

    I cannot say with certainty why this worked, but it appears that making a change to the recovery information may have cleared whatever was causing the notification to appear.

    Hopefully this helps anyone experiencing the same issue.

    Outlook prompts

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Javier Luna 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T22:47:31.87+00:00

    same issue here. I'll just keep hitting Not Now until it magically goes away

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Hornblower409 16,450 Reputation points
    2026-09-22T15:36:27.03+00:00

    It is probably your browser. Not your Account Security Settings.

    My guess is that Outlook Web is looking for some kind of marker in your browser local storage that indicates you have already completed the check. If it doesn't find it, you get prompted.

    • I get the "Keep access ..." popup every time I open Outlook Web using a Private/Incognito browser session.
    • But only once (for each account) when using a normal browser session.

    My Testing

    • Multiple verification methods already in place.
    • No account Security changes for weeks.
    • Completed Passkey authentication to https://outlook.live.com/mail/
    • Email window opens OK
    • I started the sequence Help -> ? Help
    • Saw the Help panel open
    • Then it's all overlaid with the "Keep access ..."
    • (Brightness increased so you can see the background)
    • User's image
    • [Review recovery method] opens https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional in a new tab.
    • I switch back to outlook.com and see:
    • User's image
    • [Looks good] and back to normal.
    • Close Browser and go back to outlook.com, no popup.
    • Sign-Out and go back to outlook.com, Sign-in, no popup.

    Using a Private/Incognito session to outlook.com.

    • Sign-In and "Stay Signed-In" = Yes
    • Popup.

    Using a Private/Incognito session to https://account.live.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.