File History problems after installing KB5124008

BobH3027 120 Reputation points
2026-09-08T22:43:41.45+00:00

Ran Windows Update on two sepearate Windows 11 computers that were all up to date as of Saturday morning - broke File History

Today I ran File History on 2 computers - both ran correctly. Then ran Windows Update and File History on both are now broken. File History panel pops up but will not run - says to connect a drive. (drive was connected and verified that I could read and write to it)

Reached out to support who logged on to one of the computers, but troubleshooting did not provide an answer. Later I connected a drive and configured File History on a 3rd computer - it was working. Then I ran Windows Update and it broke it.

Updated the case number and was told now by two seperate techs that it seems to be an issue with one of the updates and was passing it on to level 2 with the detailed testing notes I provided.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

10 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Henrik Mygind 10 Reputation points
    2026-09-16T10:13:45.7533333+00:00

    Any updates on this.

    After installing KB5124008, i have the exact same problem with File History. And the "Reconnect the drive" message.

    Have even tried with a fresh SSD drive and renaming Configuration and Data directories on the PC, then selected the new drive in File History, and it will create fresh Configuration and Data directories on both the external SSD and the PC, so it can for sure see the drive. Then Run backup and l get the same message to Reconnect the drive. So this is clearly broken !

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.

  2. dotlang 45 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T17:34:44.86+00:00

    Thanks Mike_A_P!! I uninstalled KB5129195, then KB5124008 reappeared as you indicated in the uninstall list. I uninstalled it, and voila! my File History turned on and can run! So now my question is how do I deal with the fact that I removed two Windows updates??

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-23T02:33:19.02+00:00

    On the Retail channel, it is Fixed with the Optional update released on 22nd September.

    https://yourwindowsguide.com/2026/09/file-history-not-working-after-september-update.html

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/servicing/os/windows-11/2026/09/kb5124010-windows-11-24h2-25h2-update

    [File History] This update addresses an issue where File History might fail to back up or restore files to an external drive or network location. Affected devices might incorrectly display a “Reconnect your drive” message even when a compatible backup drive is connected and working properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.

  5. 林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T10:58:39.12+00:00

    I installed KB5124010, and File History backup functionality has returned to normal. Backups can now be performed successfully.

    However, the File History issue caused by KB5101684/KB5120249, installed on July 28, still persists.

    After modifying or saving a file, I can click “Run now” in Control Panel → System and Security → File History, and the file is successfully copied to the backup drive. However, the “Last copy” date and time does not update to reflect the latest backup.

    In addition, newly created or modified files still show “No previous versions available” under File Properties → Previous Versions, or the previous version does not show the correct latest date and time.

    In other words, the backup itself appears to be working, but the File History record/index is not being updated correctly. This problem is still unresolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.