Seems that Microsoft is not in any hurry to acknowledge this as a known issue for KB5124008. Does anyone have suggestions for raising awareness? FWIW I reported it on Feedback Hub (at https://aka.ms/AA13dwm5) and there was at least one other report, but can't find it any longer. Not sure how effective Feedback Hub is, but might help if people could leave more reports or upvote... Meanwhile, has anyone seen any work-arounds apart from uninstalling the update? EDIT: Just installed latest OOB update KB5129195 (26200.9457) which apparently addresses two of the three acknowledged issues with KB5124008. File History still failing with apparently the same symptoms.
File History problems after installing KB5124008
Ran Windows Update on two sepearate Windows 11 computers that were all up to date as of Saturday morning - broke File History
Today I ran File History on 2 computers - both ran correctly. Then ran Windows Update and File History on both are now broken. File History panel pops up but will not run - says to connect a drive. (drive was connected and verified that I could read and write to it)
Reached out to support who logged on to one of the computers, but troubleshooting did not provide an answer. Later I connected a drive and configured File History on a 3rd computer - it was working. Then I ran Windows Update and it broke it.
Updated the case number and was told now by two seperate techs that it seems to be an issue with one of the updates and was passing it on to level 2 with the detailed testing notes I provided.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
-
Deleted
This comment has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The comment was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
-
Alan B • 5 Reputation points
2026-09-09T08:30:26.7133333+00:00 I'm having the same issues trying to run my back up to file history on my external drive- failed, same error messages as you. Had to do a manual save to the drive. CHATGPT says likely that what you have highlighted is the problem and microsoft will pick up and solve soon.
-
La Ma • 10 Reputation points
2026-09-10T03:41:21.8066667+00:00 I have just now encountered this same problem. I will try uninstalling the Security Update.
-
-
-
Sean Page • 10 Reputation points
2026-09-17T17:46:07.8066667+00:00 Thank you so much for that information. Wish I had read it sooner. I installed a fresh Windows 10 onto a PC to give to my parents. After copying all their files and apps across, creating 2 accounts etc, I ran file history and Backup & Restore with no problems. Then (seemingly out of nowhere) file history threw this error, which doesn't even seem to be an error, just telling you that the drive isn't connected. Ended up reinstalling windows from scratch, after doing the sfc/dism/anything, even thinking that my backup drive was faulty, only to come into this same problem again, but only after installing updates. Process of elimination. Deduction, dear Watson. Currently restoring a system image and will not install patch updates afterward. To myself and my parents, having an integral file backup working is more important than a botched security fix. What annoys the most is spending so much time looking in the wrong places online for answers to this seemingly random problem, only for it to be an update bricking features. Just wish I'd seen this before doing a job twice 🤣
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2026-09-23T10:55:13.6733333+00:00 I installed KB5124010, and File History backup functionality has returned to normal. Backups can now be performed successfully.
However, the File History issue caused by KB5101684/KB5120249, installed on July 28, still persists.
After modifying or saving a file, I can click “Run now” in Control Panel → System and Security → File History, and the file is successfully copied to the backup drive. However, the “Last copy” date and time does not update to reflect the latest backup.
In addition, newly created or modified files still show “No previous versions available” under File Properties → Previous Versions, or the previous version does not show the correct latest date and time.
In other words, the backup itself appears to be working, but the File History record/index is not being updated correctly. This problem is still unresolved.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2026-09-23T10:56:27.0433333+00:00 I installed KB5124010, and File History backup functionality has returned to normal. Backups can now be performed successfully.
However, the File History issue caused by KB5101684/KB5120249, installed on July 28, still persists.
After modifying or saving a file, I can click “Run now” in Control Panel → System and Security → File History, and the file is successfully copied to the backup drive. However, the “Last copy” date and time does not update to reflect the latest backup.
In addition, newly created or modified files still show “No previous versions available” under File Properties → Previous Versions, or the previous version does not show the correct latest date and time.
In other words, the backup itself appears to be working, but the File History record/index is not being updated correctly. This problem is still unresolved.
Sign in to comment
10 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Mike_A_P • 40 Reputation points
2026-09-14T12:47:42.2366667+00:00 -
JamieB • 20 Reputation points
2026-09-15T22:52:05.85+00:00 I upvoted although I'm not sure how much help it will be. There is definitely an issue and just silence from Microsoft.
Obviously they would like people to move away from FileHistory but while it is still included in the Win11 features they need to make sure it works.
-
J L Donley • 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T14:31:36.92+00:00 I cannot turn File History back on. KB5124008 no longer on list that I can uninstall it.
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-16T14:39:43.13+00:00 @J L Donley MS released a new Security Update yesterday but it did not include a fix for the File History issue. 2026-09 Security Update (KB5129195) (26200.9457) Remove that and FH should work.
-
J L Donley • 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T14:51:54.6366667+00:00 When I click on Uninstall Updates I now have a list of only 5 updates, and that is not one of them.
-
Mark Lovell • 30 Reputation points
2026-09-19T15:57:05.81+00:00 It mentioned as a known issue in the 2026-09 Security Update (KB5124008) - see the release notes
-
Mike_A_P • 40 Reputation points
2026-09-19T16:55:40.2966667+00:00 Thanks Mark - Very reassuring to see this now acknowledged!
Sign in to comment -
-
Linda Rolla • 5 Reputation points
2026-09-13T20:52:06.6833333+00:00 Uninstalling those two pesky updates did the trick. File History working again.I hope Microsoft fixes this!
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-13T22:20:57.7266667+00:00 Only need to uninstalled 2026-09 Security Update (KB5124008) (26200.9445), but Windows will reinstall it in a day or two unless you block it (it get's blocked at the KB5124008 level, not the 26200.9445 sublevel). As CrazyKats pointed out there is an update to KB5124008 but it is not GA yet - guess not until the 2nd Tues in October from what I read about how MS releases them. Guess that a fix to File History is not likely to be in the Beta update, so it could be a while. When I see an update is available (by checking the Microsoft Update Catalog) I will download it on a system I do not use File History on and test it and post an update.
-
MollFran88 • 15 Reputation points
2026-09-15T00:11:37.12+00:00 I have just installed the most recent update available, newly available today, 2026-09 Security Update (KB5129195) (26200.9457) and the external hard drive back-up inability problem still persists. As this was a second Security Update within a month, (only a week since the last one), I assume there must have been lots of bugs in last week's one.
Many of us want to backup to an external hard drive.
I have reported this on Feedback Hub also. Get a grip Microsoft!
Please return us to a fully functioning back-up situation.
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-15T00:52:14.95+00:00 Agree - still broken. Was working before I ran the update - not working after installing it - working after I uninstalled it.
Sign in to comment -
-
CrazyKats • 19,920 Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-09-10T20:00:56.5466667+00:00 Hi All,
As of today 26200 is up to .9539.
Hope it fixes the issue for all of you.
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-10T20:08:54.9266667+00:00 CrazyKats - Where can I download that to test? I went to teh Microsoft Update Catalog and searched on "KB5124008" - all I see is 23200.9445 - dated 9/8/2026
Thanks
-
CrazyKats • 19,920 Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-09-10T20:13:20.06+00:00 Hi Bob,
Apparently it's a gradual rollout
under Windows Update, so if you don't
see it right away give it a few days.
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-10T20:16:06.15+00:00 CrazyKats - thanks - was hoping to be able to install it on one machine to test - guess I will have to wait until it just shows up and then fix all my machines if needed. Oh well.
-
Derek S • 30 Reputation points
2026-09-30T09:33:26.17+00:00 Early this morning, my device received the Windows 11 26H2 update and is now running Build 26300.9547. Unfortunately, File History is still not functioning correctly and continues to display the "Reconnect your drive" message.
I've already tried reconnecting the drive and verifying that it is accessible, but the issue persists. Since KB5124010 originally brought 26H2 systems to Build 26300.9539 and I'm now on the newer Build 26300.9547, the problem does not appear to have been resolved for me by this update.
At this point, I may need to wait for the next Patch Tuesday release to see if a fix is included. If anyone else running Build 26300.9547 can confirm whether File History is working correctly on their system, it would be helpful to know if you're seeing the same behaviour.
-
-
Mike_A_P • 40 Reputation points
2026-09-30T12:44:54.22+00:00 Concur with Ezio De Pazzi - just updated to 26H2 26300.9550 via Windows Update (set to "get latest updates as soon as they are available" on stable release channel) and File History is working. Looks as though 26300.9457 is an Insider build issued about the same time as the 26100 and 26200 out-of-band updates on 14 September? These did not fix File History.
-
Bruin_71 • 15 Reputation points
2026-09-30T23:39:31.8433333+00:00 Concur with Mike_A_P and Ezio de Pazzi. When I updated to version 26H2 last night, that did not fix File History. But, following Mike's lead, I went with the Preview Update 26H2 26300.9550 today and it fixed the problem. (I usually skip the Preview Updates, but this one was definitely helpful.)
Sign in to comment -
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-09T17:12:17.7866667+00:00 Resolved the issue for now by uninstalling
2026-09 Security Update (KB5124008) (26200.9445)Did this all three computers that had the issue and it resolved the issue on all three.
-
La Ma • 10 Reputation points
2026-09-10T11:03:37.36+00:00 For me also, uninstalling that Security Update resolved the issue. But of course, I also had to pause updates until the end of the month. I don't want Windows Update to re-install it!
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-10T11:23:35.6933333+00:00 You can hide the update from being installed so you can still get other updates. Best method I found was using commands in the admin terminal )PowerShell).
Only caveat is that if Windows Update has already downloaded it, you need to install it, uninstall it, then run the commands to block it. Search "Block the Installation of Certain Windows Updates Using PowerShell" on the Internet.
-
Carl-L • 22,915 Reputation points • Microsoft External Staff • Moderator
2026-09-10T13:44:21.6933333+00:00 Hello BobHayes-3027,
It's good to hear if you have found a way to resolve this.
If you have any other questions. Feel free to ask.
-
Fred Acosta • 10 Reputation points
2026-09-10T15:45:10.5966667+00:00 Thank you BobHayes for posting this. I had the same exact issue and removing KB5124008 resolved it.
Much appreciated.
-Fred A.
-
Derek S • 30 Reputation points
2026-09-10T16:44:35.2+00:00 What concerns me about the "uninstall the update" answer is that it doesn't tell us whether Microsoft has:
- acknowledged the bug,
- logged it,
- reproduced it,
- or fixed it.
It merely demonstrates a correlation:
"I removed the update and File History worked again."
That's useful information, but it's not the same as a long-term solution.
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-10T17:15:27.69+00:00 Dereck S - I'd like to knw that as well, but as far as I know there is no feedback loop to customers to provide that information. More importantly, will it still be an issue in the next Security Update.
Like youm I'm just a user of Windows sharing the issue and what fixed it for me, and what to be aware of come the next update. I even took the time to install the update - 2026-09 Security Update (KB5124008) (26200.9445) - again on each computer to confirm it was that update that broke File History before uninstalling it to make it work again.
Good Luck
-
Derek S • 30 Reputation points
2026-09-10T18:08:38.93+00:00 Thanks, Bob. I really appreciate you taking the time to post the issue in the first place and then doing the extra testing to confirm the behaviour after reinstalling the update.
Finding your post was actually what prompted me to investigate my own File History setup. Up until then I assumed I was dealing with a problem specific to my PC or backup drive. After working through quite a bit of troubleshooting, I'm now much less convinced that it's simply a hardware issue.
In any case, thank you again for starting the thread and sharing your findings. I'll continue following it with interest and will post back if I discover anything useful.
-
Derek S • 30 Reputation points
2026-09-10T19:07:34.2633333+00:00 I just happened to check Windows Security and Maintenance and discovered that Windows Security and Maintenance is recording repeated crashes of FileHistory.exe:
- Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
- Faulting application: FileHistory.exe
- Module: fhuxadapter
- Exception: System.InvalidOperationException
The same crash has been recorded multiple times with the same bucket ID, which suggests a repeatable failure rather than a one-off event.
According to Copilot:
- CLR20r3 is a .NET runtime crash. In plain English, it means an application encountered an unhandled exception and terminated unexpectedly.
- An InvalidOperationException is essentially:
"The program attempted an operation that wasn't valid for the state it was in." - That's a software exception rather than a hardware error.
- The
fhuxadaptercomponent is part of the File History user experience/UI layer rather than the actual file-copying engine.
Copilot added:
"That fits surprisingly well with your symptoms:- "Turn Off" does nothing.
- "Run now" doesn't actually start a backup.
- "Reconnect your drive" appears despite the drive being accessible.
- New FileHistory-Engine events aren't appearing.
Those are all UI/control-plane behaviours, not disk I/O failures."
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-10T19:51:34.87+00:00 Yes - I showed Tech Support while he was connected to my computer that clicking "Turn Off" did not do anything and clicking "Run Now" only brings up the "Reconnect your drive" message. Also - stopping the FH service, removing the FH folder on your backup drive and "Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft then starting FH does in fact recreate the folders abd allows you to exclude folders and other settings - just won't actually run :)
Hopefully MS will get enough complaints and fix it. What has me a little concerned is that when I reached back out to update them with the info that uninstalling the update fixed the issue they told me that there were no notes under the case number - so I do not have a high level of confidence that it actually went to level 2 for further investigation.
-
MollFran88 • 15 Reputation points
2026-09-11T05:53:16.5166667+00:00 As a very unsophisticated older user I really appreciated all the information in this thread, thank you. I uninstalled the security update and could back up onto an external hard drive again. Windows automatically reinstalling the update reproduced the problem. I don't have confidence to pause just one update so will just have to do a few "copy"s of vital files to a different drive every so often until next month. I am concerned though, as I gather the security updates are different each time so that the issues fixed in the suspect update won't be fixed in the following month if I uninstall it.
I don't know how to report it directly to Microsoft, as it looks from the above as if they've not taken anything on board yet.
Thanks guys.
Sign in to comment -
-
Carl-L • 22,915 Reputation points • Microsoft External Staff • Moderator
2026-09-09T12:28:55.1766667+00:00 Hello Bob H,
Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.
Before we proceed, may I have a photo of the situation to check for you? Please remember to remove all personal information before posting.
Additionally, may I know if you can rollback the updates?
I'm waiting for your reply.
-
BobH3027 • 120 Reputation points
2026-09-09T13:43:43.57+00:00 Sure - here you go - tried it with two external USB drives and one internal drive, all which I have verified can be read and written to. Microsoft Tech support connected to computer and also verified drive was able to be written too as well as doing SFC and DISM commands. Then finally agreed that since File History was working be the updates (manually run prior to installing the updates) and is now not working after the updates on all three computers it is an issue with one or more of the three updates that were installed.
While that error message was being displayed I manually copied a file over to the backup drive and could also read it.
Rather than trying to blindly uninstall all three updates - what order would you suggest I try to uninstall them in?
-
Derek S • 30 Reputation points
2026-09-10T08:34:38.77+00:00 Greetings all,
If I may just add a little more info from my perspective. I am unable to turn File History off! If I click 'Turn off' it still shows that 'File History is on", as in the photo supplied by BobHayes-3027. If I click 'Run now', that's when the message to "Reconnect your drive" appears. I am able to Stop the File History service by running services.msc, but when it is running again, nothing changes from my description above. While trying this last night, it did create the following folder structure on the backup drive: D:\File History<user_name><System_name> which contained two more sub -folders: 'Configuration' and 'Data'. In 'Configuration, there were two files: Config1.xml and Config2.xml but nothing in data. Again, it says it is turned on but if I click Run now, I get the 'reconnect drive' message.
In addition, Copilot is recommending NOT to uninstall KB5124008, with this being an important Security update, so I am reluctant to try that. Also, there is no option to stop using the currently selected drive or the option to select another drive.
Hopefully some of what I've said here may be of use in helping to diagnose this issue. I'm feeling vulnerable now with out File History running.
Sign in to comment -