File History problems after installing KB5124008

BobH3027 120 Reputation points
2026-09-08T22:43:41.45+00:00

Ran Windows Update on two sepearate Windows 11 computers that were all up to date as of Saturday morning - broke File History

Today I ran File History on 2 computers - both ran correctly. Then ran Windows Update and File History on both are now broken. File History panel pops up but will not run - says to connect a drive. (drive was connected and verified that I could read and write to it)

Reached out to support who logged on to one of the computers, but troubleshooting did not provide an answer. Later I connected a drive and configured File History on a 3rd computer - it was working. Then I ran Windows Update and it broke it.

Updated the case number and was told now by two seperate techs that it seems to be an issue with one of the updates and was passing it on to level 2 with the detailed testing notes I provided.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

10 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. dotlang 45 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T17:34:44.86+00:00

    Thanks Mike_A_P!! I uninstalled KB5129195, then KB5124008 reappeared as you indicated in the uninstall list. I uninstalled it, and voila! my File History turned on and can run! So now my question is how do I deal with the fact that I removed two Windows updates??

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. 林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T10:58:39.12+00:00

    I installed KB5124010, and File History backup functionality has returned to normal. Backups can now be performed successfully.

    However, the File History issue caused by KB5101684/KB5120249, installed on July 28, still persists.

    After modifying or saving a file, I can click “Run now” in Control Panel → System and Security → File History, and the file is successfully copied to the backup drive. However, the “Last copy” date and time does not update to reflect the latest backup.

    In addition, newly created or modified files still show “No previous versions available” under File Properties → Previous Versions, or the previous version does not show the correct latest date and time.

    In other words, the backup itself appears to be working, but the File History record/index is not being updated correctly. This problem is still unresolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. CrazyKats 19,920 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-10T20:00:56.5466667+00:00

    Hi All,

    As of today 26200 is up to .9539.

    Hope it fixes the issue for all of you.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. Carl-L 22,915 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-09T12:28:55.1766667+00:00

    Hello Bob H,

    Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.

    Before we proceed, may I have a photo of the situation to check for you? Please remember to remove all personal information before posting.

    Additionally, may I know if you can rollback the updates?

    I'm waiting for your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.