why does the new copilot have a daily chat limit?

john bryla 100 Reputation points
2026-09-08T04:14:58.55+00:00

I've been using copilot for the past year and recently the copilot version changed and now i noticed a time limit for my chats which interferes with my daily and evening computer work not good as i was relying on copilot for my lab work . "You have reached your daily chat limit" *john bryla

Microsoft Copilot | Other

20 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. RS 10 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T05:52:30.15+00:00

    I've been running about a year long comparison of CoPilot, Gemini and OpenUI AIs. Even though I like the term Artificial Idiot, running the same questions between the AI's has been interesting. Now, the 09/2026 Downgraded Experience of CoPilot has turned it to be completely infuriating, irritating and useless. Once I would talk through technical problems so long it would tell me "CoPilot doesn't need sleep, you do. Take a break" (or something like that). I barely get 10 interactions and it cuts me off with a daily chat limit. Effectively USELESS to me now. I would gladly pay for a bit of AI, but I want only AI, not the 365 suite that I won't use. So, this "Experience" with CoPilots failed upgrade is a perfect push to get me to try Claude or Gemini. Very much a similar experience as Windows 11 really pushed me to test all of the Linux Distros. Good job Micro$oft. Way to run off everyone. This is the year of "Gotchya hooked!" with the freebies --- now we're cutting you off and making you pay, more. They did the same with XBOX.com/play online gaming.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.

  2. Zahid Barrera Ramirez 400 Reputation points
    2026-09-08T06:32:42.8233333+00:00

    Hi @Jules

    The “You have reached your daily chat limit” message normally indicates that you have reached a usage limit associated with your current Copilot plan or account.

    Since you mentioned that your Copilot experience recently changed, I would first verify that you are signed in with the same Microsoft account and that your subscription is still correctly associated with it.

    You can also try signing out of Copilot completely, closing the browser/app, and signing back in. If you use Copilot through more than one Microsoft account, make sure the correct account is selected.

    If the limit continues to appear, please let us know:

    • Which Copilot product you are using (Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365 Copilot, Copilot Pro, etc.) • Whether you are using a personal, work, or school account • Where you are accessing Copilot (web, Windows app, Microsoft 365 app, etc.) • Your current Copilot subscription

    Those details are important because usage limits can vary depending on the Copilot product and subscription.

    Unfortunately, if this is an account-level usage limit, there isn't a local Windows or application setting that can remove it.

    If this answer helped you identify or resolve the issue, please consider marking it as helpful. It helps other users with the same problem find the solution more easily.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.

  3. danny jeuris 10 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T20:23:13.2866667+00:00

    Seems there is no logic to the limit at all. Testing daily: one day you can ask 4 questions, the other 1, then 2, ... sometimes nothing just a daily limit when you open the chat; typical Microsoft work.

    The one that comes with an OS without all that corporate bullshit will kill Microsoft. They work sloppy last decade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  4. Ankit Parikh 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-03T14:38:59.07+00:00

    Yes, the limits are a joke after some recent upgrade. After being a copilot user for over a year, I just moved to claude and/or google for all things since this isn't a battle I can fight. Microsoft is stepping on its own shoes by dropping the ball on copilot users. Good for Claude/openAI and Google I guess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. René Schulz 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T15:34:29.3966667+00:00

    Ich denke zum Monatsbeginn wird beim kostenlosen Konto, das Limit zurückgesetzt? Davon merke ich nichts, da Limit heute schon erreicht ist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.