Office for Mac no longer recognizes OneDrive files for AutoSave – “Saved on My Mac”

Carina 20 Reputation points
2026-08-10T18:14:01.01+00:00

Since a few days, Word and PowerPoint on my Mac no longer automatically save files to OneDrive.

My files are stored in my company's OneDrive folder and OneDrive itself appears to be working normally. The files sync correctly between my Mac and OneDrive.

However, when I open a Word or PowerPoint file, Office shows “Saved on My Mac” and the AutoSave toggle is OFF.

If I manually switch AutoSave on, Office tells me that I need to save/upload the file to OneDrive. I can do this successfully, but after I close the file and open it again, AutoSave is OFF again and the file once again shows “Saved on My Mac.”

Details

macOS

Microsoft Office/PowerPoint version: 16.111

OneDrive version: 26.134.0713

OneDrive is a business/company account

Files are stored under: ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-BUSINESSNAME/

  • Example file: ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-BUSINESSNAME/FILENAME.pptx

Troubleshooting already tried

OneDrive appears to be syncing normally; there are no general sync problems.

I always open the files directly from the OneDrive folder in Finder.

I also tried opening the same files through PowerPoint → File → Open → OneDrive. AutoSave is still OFF.

I tested with a newly created presentation, not just existing files. After saving it to OneDrive, closing and reopening it also results in AutoSave being OFF.

I signed out of my business Microsoft account in Office and signed in again. The problem persists.

I checked for Office updates, but Office reports that 16.111 is up to date.

This makes it seem like Office is no longer recognizing files in my OneDrive folder as OneDrive/cloud files, even though OneDrive itself is syncing them correctly.

Is there a known issue or a way to reset the Office ↔ OneDrive integration without reinstalling/resetting the entire OneDrive setup?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For business | MacOS

12 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Sebastian Scholz 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-16T12:12:08.43+00:00

    Hi,

    I had the exact same issue on my Mac (files showing "Saved on My Mac" with AutoSave stuck off, even though OneDrive itself was syncing fine).

    What finally fixed it for me was fully unlinking the OneDrive account (Preferences > Account > Unlink) and then relinking it from scratch, rather than just signing out/in within Office. After OneDrive re-synced everything, files opened from Finder were recognized as cloud files again and AutoSave worked as expected.

    Hope this helps others still stuck on this.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.