Cant access my personal vault

sandra arango 10 Reputation points
2026-07-04T21:22:08.4533333+00:00

I have been unable to access my OneDrive Personal Vault for 2 days. When I try to open it, I get an error screen that says "Try refreshing the page" with the error code "unlockRequired" and Correlation ID: ________. I have tried refreshing, signing out and back in, clearing cache, and trying from a different browser and device, but the same error persists every time. My Microsoft 365 Family subscription is active and current (next charge May 23, 2027), so this does not appear to be a billing issue. I need help unlocking my Personal Vault and confirming that my files inside it are safe, since it has now been inaccessible for two full days.
When I try to open Personal Vault, I first get a "Please sign in" prompt even though I'm already logged into my Microsoft account. After signing in again, the second attempt lets me proceed, but then I immediately hit the "unlockRequired" error screen shown in my Correlation ID. This exact sequence happens every time, on multiple browsers and devices.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Other

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-H 27,395 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-07-05T08:35:53.0433333+00:00

    Hi, sandra arango

    Personal Vault uses an extra identity check, so being signed in to OneDrive is not always enough. The unlockRequired error usually points to the Vault unlock/authentication step failing, not necessarily to the files being deleted.

    Here are some suggestions you can try:

    First, open OneDrive in a private/incognito browser window using the latest Edge, Chrome, or Firefox, then go directly to OneDrive and open Personal Vault again. If it asks for verification, try a different method if available, such as Microsoft Authenticator, SMS, or email code. Personal Vault needs this second verification step and works through the web, mobile app, or Windows PC.

    If the Vault opens on any device, download or copy the important files out of the Vault temporarily before doing more troubleshooting.

    If this only fails in the Windows OneDrive app, it is recommended that you exit OneDrive, restart the PC, then try again. If needed, clear OneDrive/Microsoft cached credentials in Windows Credential Manager, but avoid disabling Personal Vault, because turning it off can remove the Vault contents.

    Since you already tested multiple browsers and devices, this may need Microsoft to check the account/server side. Contact Microsoft Support and provide the exact error code, Correlation ID, date/time/time zone, account email, and subscription status. Ask them specifically to escalate it as a “Personal Vault unlockRequired error” and to confirm the Vault contents are still present.

    Please be advised that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators and contributors, including external Microsoft employees, are not allowed to directly interfere with Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited solely to providing technical guidance on reported incidents, requests, or ideas.   

    Thank you for your patience in reading, I hope this information has been helpful to you. 


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment."    

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.