OneDrive for Mac failed to launch after update

Tom 115 Reputation points
2026-05-20T16:49:50.1933333+00:00

Hi,

My OneDrive failed to launch after the latest App Store update (version 26.078.0426). It said 'OneDrive can't start - there's an error with this application, please download the application on this computer and try again'.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer recommended by moderator
Edgar Adamyan 15 Reputation points
2026-05-21T12:38:24.4466667+00:00

I tried reinstalling OneDrive several times, but nothing worked. The solution is quite simple: download the app from the Microsoft website instead of the App Store: OneDrive

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.

5 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Winkelmann 41 Reputation points
    2026-05-21T13:26:51.47+00:00

    The Mac App Store version of OneDrive is simply broken right now, it looks like Microsoft pushed a faulty update.

    The problem appears to be that they have a system that checks if the app is complete by checking for the presence of items listed in OneDrive.app/Contents/Resources/OneDrive.app.manifest. The current version of this file has references to items that, to my understanding, get stripped during the Mac App Store publishing process, such as OneDrive.app/Contents/OneDrive File Handler.app/Contents/embedded.provisionprofile.

    I was able to find the string MacManifestValidationFailed in one of the ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.OneDrive-mac/Data/Library/Logs/Personal/*.odl log files from a failed launch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Farrell 20 Reputation points
    2026-05-21T08:41:02.67+00:00

    Same experience here as Frisho described above. I was using the App Store version of OneDrive, and it updated along with the rest of my Office apps through the App Store. Everything initially seemed fine, but when I clicked the OneDrive menu bar icon, there was a green “UPDATE AVAILABLE” button showing. That seemed odd since I had literally just updated it via the App Store.

    Out of curiosity, I clicked the Update button inside the OneDrive menu bar app — and that’s when the error occurred.

    Resetting OneDrive didn’t fix it, so I ended up deleting OneDrive from Applications, restarting my iMac, and downloading/installing the standalone version directly from Microsoft. After that, everything worked again.

    The only lingering issue is what I assume is a large leftover cache folder located at:

    Username → Library → CloudStorage → OneDrive Personal

    My guess is that these are locally downloaded files from the previous App Store installation that are now abandoned by the new standalone install. As a test, I had a 500 MB Photoshop file stored locally in that folder. When I opened the same file through the new OneDrive installation, it downloaded the file again from the cloud — so now I effectively have two copies taking up space on my drive.

    I’m tempted to delete the old CloudStorage folder, but I’m leaving it alone for now since storage space isn’t an issue and I don’t want to accidentally break the new OneDrive installation if it’s still referencing it somehow (although I doubt it is).

    Hopefully the standalone OneDrive app updates cleanly and automatically going forward. One of the reasons I switched to the App Store versions in the first place was because I really disliked Microsoft Auto Updater.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Frisho 10 Reputation points
    2026-05-21T05:25:46.1833333+00:00

    Same issue here. I was using the installation from the Apple App Store and ended up deleting OneDrive and reinstalling it as a standalone package available from Microsoft. That seemed to solve the issue for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments