Hi, I have a Hello PIN that I have used for years to unlock my Win 11 Pro PC. For all those years, until about 6 months ago, the Hello PIN also successfully unlocked my Microsoft Account. Now, the PIN no longer unlocks my Microsoft Account (it still works on my PC).
When I go to the Microsoft Account sign-in page and try the PIN, it says "something went wrong when trying to sign you in with a passkey." I then have to switch to my password and submit to a bizarre audio test to get a security code to my phone.
In my Microsoft Account, I tried to add a new sign-in. When I click on PIN, a screen briefly flashes, then it says "Something went wrong. We couldn't create a passkey."
The screen that briefly flashes says it's opening a Security Window. So, at least visually, it's like the backend code starts to open the Security Window, gets stopped, and throws the error.
Does it make a difference that my PIN is saved to my PC and not in the cloud? It didn't previously make a difference, but clearly something has changed. I tried accessing my MA from multiple browsers, but still no workable passkey option.
My PC is up-to-date on all Windows updates. The option to "Only use Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device" is enabled. I have already followed all the links Microsoft provided to troubleshoot the errors -- without success.
What do you think the problem is and what do you suggest to fix it? Thank you.