you cancelled my subscription for no reason

Rita Cavanagh 20 Reputation points
2026-03-29T09:52:08.94+00:00

When I opened Word, I got a message that the subscription was cancelled. I had a family subscription, but when it came up for renewal, I changed to a personal subscription. I paid on 4th February 2026 and the receipt says it's valid to 4th February 2027.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.8K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-03-29T18:09:00.46+00:00

When I opened Word, I got a message that the subscription was cancelled. I had a family subscription, but when it came up for renewal, I changed to a personal subscription. I paid on 4th February 2026 and the receipt says it's valid to 4th February 2027.

To switch from Microsoft 365 Family (a subscription with more features) to Microsoft 365 Personal (a subscription with fewer features), it will be necessary to cancel 365 Family. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switch-between-microsoft-365-subscriptions-3fcc1efc-2722-427f-8efa-db94b9b0a36b .

User's image

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-29T09:52:21.8833333+00:00

    The “subscription canceled” message in Word usually means the Microsoft 365 subscription that Word is using is not currently active, even if a payment was made.

    Use these steps to resolve it:

    1. Confirm the active subscription
      1. Close all Office apps (Word, Excel, etc.).
      2. Go to the Subscriptions page: https://account.microsoft.com/services.
      3. Sign in with the Microsoft account that was used to buy the Personal subscription on 4 February 2026.
      4. Under the Microsoft 365 heading, check:
        • Status shows as active, and
        • The end date shows 4 February 2027 (or similar).
      5. If the subscription shows as expired, follow the on‑screen steps there to renew or correct the plan.
    2. Check payment and billing
      1. Go to Payment options: https://account.microsoft.com/billing/payments.
      2. Sign in with the same Microsoft account.
      3. Check that the payment on 4 February 2026 is listed and that the payment method does not show an error (for example, expired or declined card).
      4. If there is a payment error, update the card or payment method and then reopen Word.
    3. Make sure Word is signed into the correct account and refresh the license
      1. Open Word.
      2. Go to File → Account.
      3. Under User Information and Product Information, verify that the signed‑in email address matches the account where the active Personal subscription is shown.
      4. If a different account is shown, sign out there and sign back in with the correct Microsoft account.
      5. In the same Account page, use the option to Update license (or similar wording), then restart Word.

    If Word was still using the old Family subscription account, or if there was a payment issue when switching plans, these steps will align Word with the active Personal subscription and remove the “subscription canceled” banner.

    If the subscription is active and payment is correct but the error persists after these steps, contact Microsoft Support via the account portal for account‑level investigation.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
  2. DaveM121 937.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-03-29T10:26:44.2933333+00:00

    1

    Open Word.

    At the top right of Word, log out of Office.

    Restart (not shut down) your PC, then log back into Office, is your subscription then recognised correctly.

    2

    If not, log into your Microsoft account on this link, check the expiry date listed on your subscription, is that listed correctly.

    https://account.microsoft.com/services/

    If not, go to the Payments and Billing section, is it indicated your payment for the new subscription has been processed correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.