Troubleshooting browser crashes or performance issues on macOS
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
On M4 16 500 and only 20 tabs I get 100% CPU usage. Build 144.0.3719.82
Troubleshooting browser crashes or performance issues on macOS
Seeing the same issue on Mac OS with MS Edge Version 144.0.3719.82. "Browser Task Manager" reporters the Browser is using 100%
Temporary solution: Opening the previous version in /Users/~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/EdgeUpdater/apps/msedge-stable/
/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/EdgeUpdater/apps/msedge-stable/
I don't have this location
Kay, the ~ in my example should be filled with your username, found in the Users folder. If you did that and still can't find the folder, you might have a fresh or a faulty install.
same here M1 Max 16 inch 32gb , i just got edge high power consumption issue mid jan 26 and found this thread. I'm now following WCR comment.
Updating to version 144.0.3719.92 fixes this for me. Updated when going to Settings > About Microsoft Edge.
I experienced the issue with version 144.0.3719.92 and the previous version as well.
I'm on Tahoe 26.2 with Version 144.0.3719.92 (Official build) (arm64).
~/Application Support/Microsoft does not have an /EdgeUpdater directory.
~/Application Support has
I have hidden files enabled.
Curious if that means the later versions of Tahoe/Edge don't have the EdgeUpdater?
Open Activity Monitor, search for EdgeUpdater, then invoke an update check in Edge. You may find its path there. (I'm using macOS 15.7.3.)
Jon, that did it.
Here is the full path:
'/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/EdgeUpdater/145.0.3785.0/EdgeUpdater.app/Contents/MacOS/EdgeUpdater'
The trick is WCR (who is right in his answer) had the pathway from the username.
'/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft'
You have to go from the root if you're using WCR's suggestion (again, no shade):
'/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/EdgeUpdater'
It seems this is one of the changes in macOS 26. I previously wrote a detailed step-by-step guide on the second page of this issue.
I have the same problem on my Macbook Air M3 13 inch 8 GB, macOS 26.2, edge version 144.0.3719.92 and 144.0.3719.104. 100 % CPU usage
as Onboard3462 post : I have to disable "Use graphics acceleration when available" and also restart edge to temporary fix cpu 100%. This should be temp solution, not fix yet.
edge://settings/?search=Use+graphics+acceleration+when+available
same here. mac os 26.2 edge Version 144.0.3719.92 (Official build) (arm64)
Looks like there's a new arm64 Edge build... so far so good
I have the same issue of 100% CPU utilization on my M1 Macbook Air, leaving this comment in hopes that Microsoft patches this as soon as possible. Having my mac overheat and quickly drain battery just because of a browser software issue is a massive problem.
same here for Macbook Pro M4 Pro 48GB 512, never experienced this before, only after updating to the new version a couple days ago.
Is this bug still present on version 144.0.3719.104?
Same issue in 144.0.3719.104, the screenshot is below.