How do I turn off spell check in Teams?

Mark 30 Reputation points
2026-01-20T09:24:32.5266667+00:00

How do I turn off spellcheck in teams? Only in a recent update it started happening that while I was typing Dutch messages (I type in Dutch and English to colleagues), it keeps autocorrecting to English. I get this little revert / cog icon whenever it happens. I've clicked on the cog and it brings me to the General Teams settings page where I see the option to "Manage" Editor spellcheck:
User's image

But when I click that, there's no off button. I can add up to 3 languages, but those don't save.
User's image

It is very frustrating...

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Settings | Other

9 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Michaël Van Bogaert 0 Reputation points
    2026-06-22T14:21:40.32+00:00

    Also here, I cannot disable spell check. I also text in English and Dutch. I have to search for words and letters between unjustified red lines. I disabled spell check, but everything remain red underlined. As an aside, I cannot make text bold. No matter what I try. You are a bunch of losers Microsoft. Instead of completing knowledge or add to existing knowledge, you know how go back into primitieve digital times, all the while we already know how to make things work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Burian Tomáš 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T13:55:05.9433333+00:00

    Entering the fall of 2026 and there is still no fix for the issue. You forced us to use Teams instead of Skype and can't keep the app useful. There are more bugs than this one.

    You need to pick this up and fix all this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Remco Veenstra 0 Reputation points
    2026-07-20T07:15:31.31+00:00

    I had the exact same problem, languages can't be saved and no other settings visible.

    What helped for me was opening Teams in a browser (https://teams.microsoft.com). There, the settings were available and I was able to turn off auto-correct. Also, the languages were visible there (Dutch, English and also en-nl).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.