Using New Outlook on Windows for professional communication and productivity
Dear @Kelley Peterson,
Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Q&A forum.
I understand the confusion you’re experiencing when moving from old Outlook to the new Outlook experience. What you’re encountering is an intentional change in how calendar data is handled in New Outlook and Microsoft 365.
In older versions such as Outlook 2016, meetings could be saved locally as drafts. In the current Microsoft 365 environment, meetings are treated as live, cloud-based objects. Once a meeting is created, it exists on the server, and any change, even a single character signals Outlook that attendees must be notified to keep everyone in sync.
Because of this design, meetings now follow an “all-or-nothing” update model. When you close a meeting without clicking Send, Outlook treats your changes as temporary and offers only the option to discard them. The calendar can no longer store a local-only version of a meeting that differs from what attendees see.
This behavior is part of Microsoft’s shift to a sync-first architecture. In the past, it was possible to save a meeting without sending it, which often led to mismatches between the organizer’s calendar and the attendees’ calendars. To prevent these inconsistencies, the Save option has been removed, encouraging organizers to send updates immediately.
I can't stress enough the importance of your feedback in this scenario. I strongly recommend that you share your detailed experience and feedback directly with the Microsoft product team through their official feedback channels. This is the most effective way to make your voice heard and influence future feature improvements and adjustments.
You can visit the Outlook (new) · Community to submit a new idea or vote on existing one. Our product team is in charge of the site, and they constantly check customer reviews and feedback. The higher votes, the more attention the related team will pay, and a lot of the features are developed and improved based on customer feedback. As a moderator, I will also pass along your feedback to the appropriate team for further consideration. While I don't directly influence product design, user feedback is actively reviewed and helps prioritize future development. I appreciate your kindness and understanding as we deal with these evolutionary product changes. Please get in touch if you need anything else. I wish you all the best.
If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.