New Outlook - Drag and Drop Email to Folder in Favorites not working

PHA 100 Reputation points
2026-01-15T11:23:22.19+00:00

I recently started experiencing an issue in the new Outlook: I can no longer drag and drop emails into folders that are listed under my Favorites.

Dragging and dropping works inside my primary mailbox, but I also have additional inboxes and folders from shared mailboxes added to Favorites.

I am unable to drag and drop emails from my primary mailbox into those Favorite folders, and I also cannot move emails between folders within the shared mailboxes favorites.

Is this a known issue in the new Outlook, or is there a workaround?

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For business

Answer accepted by question author
Gary 90 Reputation points
2026-01-22T15:25:18.4666667+00:00

UPDATE

For those having this issue, please try @Phoebe-N 's recommended fix. I just reached out to our IT department with her instructions. They completed it in 2 seconds. I closed out of Outlook and opened it back up and issue was fixed!

Thank you Phoebe!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

4 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. PHA 100 Reputation points
    2026-01-22T16:50:16.8266667+00:00

    I can confirm. Today after restarting Outlook the issue was fixed. Did not work the days before.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Bartosz Czerek 5 Reputation points
    2026-01-22T17:25:52.0366667+00:00

    I also confirm that the issue has been resolved. It's a shame we won't get an RCA... after all, it wasn't a global problem, right? Right? :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Phoebe-N 10,690 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-01-15T14:19:15.3166667+00:00

    Dear @PHA and @Toni

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A Community! 

    Thank you for letting us know about the drag‑and‑drop issue.  

    I have tested the scenario on the New Outlook versions 1.2025.1218.100 and 1.2026.112.400, and the drag‑and‑drop to folders in Favorites is working as expected on those builds. To give you the smoothest experience, could you please make sure your Outlook is fully up to date? In New Outlook, select Settings (gear) > About Outlook to confirm the version number. Kindly update Outlook to the latest version and restart Outlook after the update completes. 

    If you’re already on the latest version and the problem still occurs, please send your feedback from Outlook or via the Feedback Portal so Microsoft Developer team knows about the issue. 

    Please understand that as a forum moderator, I don't have permission or access to products changes. Hence, your feedback is valuable in getting Microsoft acknowledge of the issue.

    • In New Outlook, go to Help > Feedback and include a brief description (e.g., “Can’t drag and drop emails to Favorites in shared mailbox folders”) along with screenshots if possible.
    • Here is the link of the Feedback Portal where you can publicly share your feedback: Outlook · Community 

    If this affects more than half of your organization, please ask your Microsoft 365 admin to open a ticket in the Microsoft 365 admin center. This helps Microsoft recognize the scope and prioritize a fix.  

    For detailed instructions on how to get support, please refer to Get support - Microsoft 365 admin.   Moreover, kindly ask the admin to report the issue via Service Health following the instructions outlined via How to check Microsoft 365 service health - Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Learn. As many users report the issue, Microsoft will identify it as an incident and officially announce the situation.

    I know this is frustrating, and I appreciate your patience while we work through it together. Please know that I'm here to update you with news from Microsoft and am willing to help. 


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. AI answer

    2026-01-15T11:24:00.0533333+00:00

    Currently, there is no specific information in the provided context regarding issues with dragging and dropping emails into folders listed under Favorites in the new Outlook. However, this could be related to synchronization settings or specific configurations of shared mailboxes.

    If you're experiencing this issue, you might want to check the following:

    1. Ensure that your Outlook is updated to the latest version, as updates often fix bugs and improve functionality.
    2. Verify the settings for the shared mailboxes to ensure they are configured correctly.
    3. Try restarting Outlook or your computer to see if that resolves the issue.
    4. Consider checking if the problem persists in a different Outlook profile.

    If the issue continues, it might be beneficial to reach out to Microsoft support for further assistance, as they may have more detailed insights into known issues with the new Outlook.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.