Unable to activate Windows 11 Pro digital license after device change

Dejan Strbad 0 Reputation points
2026-01-14T17:02:52.34+00:00

Hello,

I had a digital license for Windows 11 Pro on my previous device, linked to my Microsoft account (PII Removed ******@gmail.com). That device has been removed from my account.

I upgraded my new laptop from Windows 11 Home to Pro using the generic key .

Activation fails with error code , and the device does not appear under account.microsoft.com/devices.

I am signed in with the same Microsoft account on the new laptop, but the license did not transfer automatically.

Microsoft support does not offer chat or callback options, and activation via PowerShell also fails.

Could someone please help me transfer and activate the digital license on this new device?

Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

Answer recommended by moderator
Neil D 34,430 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-01-18T18:35:47.3466667+00:00

If you had the original licence upgraded via a free upgrade those licences are not allowed to be used for Windows 11 anymore. You were able to use it previously when changing devices but that loophole has been closed.

I know you have removed the previous device from your devices list which is why the activation troubleshooter wouldn't work for you but that won't change the outcome.

As I said previously this thread has been escalated already.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.

7 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DON,T TACAH MY LAPTOP 0 Reputation points
    2026-04-22T04:38:40.79+00:00

    Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Dejan Strbad 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-14T17:17:10.33+00:00

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Could you please confirm whether my previous Windows 11 Pro digital license was Retail or OEM?

    It was linked to my Microsoft account and activated on my old device before I removed that device from my account.

    Since the license was associated with my Microsoft account, I need to know whether it is eligible for transfer.

    If it was Retail, please advise how to reassign it to my new device, as activation fails with 0xC004C003 and the device does not appear under my account.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.