Outlook Classic not opening properly or recording sent mails after 2026-01 Security Update (KB5074109) (26200.7623)

Chris Seagrave 350 Reputation points
2026-01-14T12:20:57.8233333+00:00

Hi,

I installed in the Windows Security update (KB5074109) (26200.7623) on 14th January 2026 and following this update Outlook Classic has a couple of problems.

The first is that when I first start my laptop Outlook Classic opens, but when I close it down I am now unable able to open it again as Office tells me it is still open. I can go into Task Manager and close the Background Process relating to Outlook Classic which allows me to open Outlook Classic again, but this is not ideal as I would rather not do this. Alternatively I can restart my laptop and Outlook Classic will open, but if I close it down it won't re-open unless I either close the Outlook Background Process in Task Manager or restart the laptop.

The second issue is that I can send an email and it will be sent to the person I am sending the email to, but it doesn't show as being sent in the Sent Items folder, this is very strange, receiving emails is fine so far.

I have encountered this using a Yahoo Pop account, so I need some guidance on what I can do to resolve these issues in Outlook Classic?

Is there a specific fix in Outlook Classic or do I need to uninstall this (KB5074109) (26200.7623) update?

I can't seem to find a way of uninstalling update (KB5074109) (26200.7623), so may need some guidance here?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
Suncoast Information Systems 315 Reputation points
2026-01-15T14:58:38.0166667+00:00

Uninstalling KB5074109 worked for us on several PCs

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
Answer recommended by moderator
Hornblower409 16,075 Reputation points
2026-01-25T03:29:40.27+00:00

January 24, 2026 - KB5078127 (OS Builds 26200.7628 and 26100.7628) Out-of-band
Fix for Outlook/OneDrive Issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/january-24-2026-kb5078127-os-builds-26200-7628-and-26100-7628-out-of-band-cf5777f6-bb4e-4adb-b9cd-2b64df577491

I have installed KB5078127 and (so far) I am not seeing any problems.

Just resume your Windows Updates, check for updates, and it should offer you KB5078127.

As I understand it, you do not need to re-install KB5074109 if you previously removed it.

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.

13 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. CN 15 Reputation points
    2026-01-20T14:42:55.46+00:00

    I've removed this update from a Windows 11 machine.

    However, I've got this issue on a Windows 10 machine with 365 apps.

    These are the latest installs updates.

    Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.6807                          Installed   OnDemandPack 14/01/2026 21:19:00
    Microsoft-Windows-MSPaint-FoD-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.6807                          Installed   OnDemandPack 14/01/2026 21:19:00
    Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.6809.1.16                                          Installed SecurityUpdate 14/01/2026 21:19:00
    Microsoft-Windows-Hello-Face-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.6809                           Installed   OnDemandPack 14/01/2026 21:19:00
    Microsoft-Windows-WordPad-FoD-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.6693                          Installed   OnDemandPack 14/01/2026 21:19:00
    Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-GB~10.0.19041.6809             Installed   LanguagePack 14/01/2026 21:19:00
    
    

    I've taken a punt on it being the security update and removed it with DISM.

    dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.6809.1.16
    
    

    Was this answer helpful?

  3. Dominik Górzyński 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-19T19:01:38.3733333+00:00

    Potwierdzam że przeniesienie pliku PST poza lokalizacje onedrive rozwiązuje problem.

    Wykonane kroki: cofnięcie aktualizacji KB5074109 > uruchomienie Outlook > przeniesienie pliku PST poza foldery Onedrive > ponowna aktualizacja KB5074109

    Jak na razie wszystko działa poprawnie.

    Was this answer helpful?