how do i delete an old microsoft365 or windows account that i no longer use?

Youval Katz 35 Reputation points
2025-12-11T14:22:26.6+00:00

I have an old Microsoft work account linked to my personal Windows 11 laptop that I no longer use. How do I delete the account if I can't login to the account any more?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Other

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author

AI answer

2025-12-11T14:22:36.2633333+00:00

To delete an old Microsoft 365 account that you can no longer log into, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Contact your IT administrator: If this is a work account, the best approach is to reach out to your organization's IT support or administrator. They have the necessary permissions to delete the account for you.
  2. Use the Microsoft 365 admin center: If you have access to the admin center and are a Global Administrator, you can delete the user account directly. However, since you mentioned you cannot log in, this may not be an option for you.
  3. Account Recovery: If you need to regain access to delete the account, try using the account recovery options provided by Microsoft. This may involve answering security questions or receiving a verification code via email or phone.
  4. Delete from Windows Settings: If the account is linked to your Windows 11 laptop, you can remove it from your device settings:
    • Go to Settings > Accounts > Access work or school.
    • Select the account you want to remove and click on Disconnect.
  5. Delete User Account: If you manage to log in or have someone who can assist you, you can delete the account by following the appropriate steps in the admin center or using PowerShell commands if applicable.

If you are unable to recover the account or need further assistance, consider reaching out to Microsoft support directly for help with account deletion.


References:

AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

3 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. BexBlu59Q 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-03T17:57:06.3933333+00:00

    Hello, I use a Mac and have an old outlook email from work that I no longer use or have access to. It was an info@ mailbox. when I want to sign in to Teams, this account keeps coming up and when I'm logged in via my usual work email everytime I try to open a file I'm either blocked or there's a pop up that asks me to sign into the info@ email account. Tried keychain --- nothing. Can anyone help me find where to get rid of whatever must be still stored on my mac even when using Chrome as my browser? Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. BillChapin-9681 0 Reputation points
    2026-04-04T16:42:57.3466667+00:00

    I located the Work Account I'm trying to remove, but there is no "Disconnect" option available to select. The only option to choose from is "Manage" (without the quotations):

    Screenshot 2026-04-04 105750

    I found a suggestion from another user offering these steps to follow:

    1. Press the Windows key +R to open the dialogue box,
    2. Type "Control Panel" (without quotations),
    3. Press Enter to open the control panel,
    4. Set the view to "Category" (without the quotations),
    5. Click on the User Accounts option, Click on the Credential Manager, which is where I had to stop because that option was not available). At this point all I can say is Argh! (There must be a way).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Restee Miranda 14,110 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-12-11T14:58:12.7633333+00:00

    Hi, I understand how confusing it can be when an old work account sticks around on your personal laptop. What’s happening is that Windows still has that account registered for work or school access, even though you no longer use it. The easiest fix is to go to Settings > Accounts > Access work or school, select the old account, and click Disconnect. If that option is grayed out or asks for credentials you don’t have, you can use Microsoft’s WPJCleanUp tool to remove leftover work account data. After that, check Settings > Accounts > Email & accounts and remove the account there too. Quick question: do you also want to completely delete the account from Microsoft’s servers, or just remove it from your device?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments