Why Does Word for Mac Now Prompt Me to Save Changes Not Made?

Robert Burns 95 Reputation points
2025-12-08T21:08:31.0266667+00:00

Why when I merely open in my Mac running Sequoia 15.6.1 and Word for Mac 16.103.3 am I told that I "Your changes will be lost if you don't save them"? And, how do I get Word to stop this farce? This problem seems to have a very recent onset. I want my files to indicate when I last edited them not when Word has tricked me into saving them without changes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | MacOS

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-12-09T05:38:46.5766667+00:00

Dear Robert Burns

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your issue in the Q&A forum.

Based on the information you provided, I understand that you’re experiencing the situation where Word displays the message “Your changes will be lost if you don’t save them” even when you haven’t made any edits. I’m truly sorry to hear about this inconvenience.

However, I noticed that Bob Jones mentioned updating macOS to version 15.7.2. Have you tried that step yet? If so, did it resolve the issue for you? If the problem still persists or if you encounter any additional issues, please feel free to share them with us. We’re always ready to assist you.


Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

10 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan 0 Reputation points
    2026-03-31T17:51:09.4333333+00:00

    Robert Burns Dec 8, 2025, 9:08 PM said "Why when I merely open in my Mac running Sequoia 15.6.1 and Word for Mac 16.103.3 am I told that I "Your changes will be lost if you don't save them"? And, how do I get Word to stop this farce? This problem seems to have a very recent onset. I want my files to indicate when I last edited them not when Word has tricked me into saving them without changes."
    This is still an overdue inefficient farce nearly 3 months later that when we read a file without changing anything, we are forced to still save them. I'm running Mac Tahoe 26.3 and Word Version 16.107.2 on 2026-04-01.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. Robert Burns 95 Reputation points
    2026-02-16T15:12:31.8033333+00:00

    Have your attorney contact M$ about this design defect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Glenn Willmott 10 Reputation points
    2026-02-15T18:12:50.4133333+00:00

    I found the answer to this problem. I also tried all suggested solutions, which failed. I also could never find a Copilot icon that I had any control over.

    My colleague informed me that my organization's licensing agreement prevented access to Copilot controls -- that my own organization imposed Copilot on everyone, and there's no way to change that. So imagine the answer is that this glitch is caused by an interaction between Copilot and Word files that are opened, even if not edited -- and those of us with company or institutional 365 software are just stuck with this annoyance. My colleague said that he switched to Pages long ago to avoid this kind of thing, and exports/imports from Word without any trouble.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Vasilikiotis Christos 0 Reputation points
    2026-02-04T16:33:20.94+00:00

    I had the same problem, starting with Mac OS Sequia and continuing with Tahoe (26.2).

    I checked and the setting “Automatically Update Document Styles” was already disabled. I also updated MS Word a few times, but the problem of getting asked to save every word file that I opened continued (a very annoying and counter-productive bug!)

    I then turned off Co-pilot (Preferences -> Copilot-> deselect Enable) and the problem stopped! So I recommend everyone to try this first, as it seems to be causing the problem, at least in my case.

    Christos

    Was this answer helpful?