Why Does Word for Mac Now Prompt Me to Save Changes Not Made?

Robert Burns 95 Reputation points
2025-12-08T21:08:31.0266667+00:00

Why when I merely open in my Mac running Sequoia 15.6.1 and Word for Mac 16.103.3 am I told that I "Your changes will be lost if you don't save them"? And, how do I get Word to stop this farce? This problem seems to have a very recent onset. I want my files to indicate when I last edited them not when Word has tricked me into saving them without changes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | MacOS

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-12-09T05:38:46.5766667+00:00

Dear Robert Burns

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your issue in the Q&A forum.

Based on the information you provided, I understand that you’re experiencing the situation where Word displays the message “Your changes will be lost if you don’t save them” even when you haven’t made any edits. I’m truly sorry to hear about this inconvenience.

However, I noticed that Bob Jones mentioned updating macOS to version 15.7.2. Have you tried that step yet? If so, did it resolve the issue for you? If the problem still persists or if you encounter any additional issues, please feel free to share them with us. We’re always ready to assist you.


Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

10 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. PatrickKros 20 Reputation points
    2025-12-27T09:39:24.0433333+00:00

    Under Word Preferences, turn off Copilot. That worked for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
  2. Blake, Kathryn 10 Reputation points
    2026-01-23T16:12:30.92+00:00

    This a very irritating and new problem. There is no appropriate fix until Microsoft makes the fix. It is a bug. What a time waster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2025-12-21T02:29:44.25+00:00

    If the problem occurs for those who have adopted Tahoe it may be that Word now is affected by a system setting. Have a look at > System Settings> Desktop & Dock — Windows to see if the option to Ask to keep changes... is toggled On. I have avoided Tahoe so I cannot test but tt has no effect in prior editions of macOS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
  4. AI answer

    2025-12-08T21:08:42.51+00:00

    The issue you're experiencing with Word for Mac prompting you to save changes even when no changes have been made can be related to several factors. One common cause is the presence of embedded URLs or other content in the document that triggers a prompt when the file is opened. This can happen if the document contains elements that Word interprets as needing to be saved, even if you haven't made any explicit changes.

    To address this issue, you can try the following steps:

    1. Check for Embedded Links: Open the document and look for any embedded links or objects that may be causing the prompt. Removing these may help.
    2. Update Word: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Word for Mac, as updates often include bug fixes that may resolve such issues.
    3. Reset Preferences: Sometimes, resetting Word preferences can help resolve persistent prompts. You can do this by closing Word, then navigating to ~/Library/Preferences/ and removing the com.microsoft.Word.plist file (make a backup first).
    4. Reinstall Word: If the problem persists, consider reinstalling Word to ensure that all components are functioning correctly.

    If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be beneficial to check for any specific updates or patches from Microsoft regarding this behavior, as it could be a known issue with a recent version of Word for Mac.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?