Windows Sandbox fails to open with 0x800705B4

Michael Higham 265 Reputation points
2025-12-04T20:27:54.12+00:00

I'm having a problem running Windows Sandbox on my Windows 11 PC.

When I start Windows Sandbox, it stalls at the logo for ten minutes or so, and then an error message shows up:

User's image

Restarting the PC and uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Sandbox don't correct the problem.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps

29 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. rhadamantys 70 Reputation points
    2025-12-15T12:02:05.6266667+00:00

    Error in Windows Sandbox, Windows version win11 25h2 26200.7462 error (0x800705B4) timeout

    I have tried uninstalling and installing the Windows Sandbox feature and I get the same error.

    I have tried deleting the registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Containers\CmService

    then uninstalling Windows Sandbox, restarting, and then reinstalling to regenerate all the files, and the result is the same error.

    The problem or bug lies in the fact that when Windows Sandbox runs, in the directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\ContainerStorages, a folder is generated containing files created by the executable WindowsSandboxServer.exe, specifically sandbox.vhdx and .vmgs.

    Generally, these files don't usually occupy more than 200 megabytes, but since the Windows 11 December system update was installed, the files being generated can reach more than 1 gigabyte.

    When they reach that size, the WindowsSandboxServer.exe process shuts down automatically, I assume due to some kind of bug or timeout the files that were being generated (which are the base of the Windows Sandbox) disappear due to the aforementioned bug or process timeout,

    and that is when the WindowsSandboxRemoteSession process shows you the error:

    Could not initialize Windows Sandbox.

    This operation returned because the timeout period expired. (0x800705B4)

    It is clear that this is a bug. I should mention that the Windows Sandbox application is updated from the Microsoft Store.

    Best regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Michael Higham 265 Reputation points
    2025-12-24T20:26:13.2266667+00:00

    Guys, I've found a solution:

    1. Open Settings > System > Recovery.
    2. Click Reinstall now if you see Fix problems using Windows Update.
    3. Check the Automatically restart my PC 15 minutes after installation box and click OK.
    4. Windows Update will check for updates and install the repair version of the latest Windows 11 version.
    5. When you see the It's nearly time to restart dialog box, click Restart now.
    6. After Windows 11 has been repaired by using Windows Update, try starting Windows Sandbox.

    If a solution works, notify me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  3. Giacomo.Angelini 15 Reputation points
    2025-12-16T14:33:09.1233333+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem on 20 machines please fix this ASAP ( i tried everything, in my case nothing worked) .

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  4. Michael Higham 265 Reputation points
    2025-12-09T18:46:54.1633333+00:00

    Still not working on Windows 11 build 26200.7462.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  5. Stefan 10 Reputation points
    2025-12-19T08:12:03.65+00:00

    Please address this long-standing issue with Windows Sandbox - Windows Sandbox fails to open with 0x800705B4*. Best regards,*

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.