My OneDrive says it's storage is full, but it's empty.

Nightswarm 5 Reputation points
2025-10-15T05:46:06.8833333+00:00

I've searched for answers to this, as I'm not receiving incoming emails to my Outlook, but my email says it's exceeding the storage limit. I checked the limits and Outlook is using 0.1% of it's 15GB limit, but OneDrive is showing 5.5GB of the 5GB limit. I checked out OneDrive, which I've never used, and it's empty.

I read that I need to resync it, or something? I go to my setting, click manage storage, and it just shows a box. It refuses to load. I clicked around and several setting options say, "Setting couldn't load - Refresh and try again." I've refreshed and it's giving me the same issues. I guess that shows the quality Microsoft is forcing upon us by using their email platform.

My next thought was to email support. I went to their support, put in my issue, and see several others with the same issue. The thread seems to be a dead end though because no one has commented on it. The first one I saw was 3 years old.

This is a long shot but I need some help figuring out what the problem is. It's not an issue with my trash bin or anything because I don't have anything in OneDrive at all. I've been through every bit of the structure. There is nothing in "My Files", nothing shared with me, and nothing in the trash. I read something that someone said about their desktop files automatically porting into OneDrive but that's not the case. I double checked that.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.

    1 deleted comment

    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. EmilyS_726 30,455 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-10-16T01:34:04.7866667+00:00

    Hello,

    This is due to a change Microsoft made in Feb 2023.

    You have 15 GB mailbox storage and 5GB OneDrive storage. Your email inline images and attachments count against your OneDrive storage. So, if your mailbox quota is not exceeded but your Onedrive is, it can still prevent you from sending/receiving.

    This is all explained here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/changes-to-microsoft-365-email-features-and-storage-e888d746-61e5-49e3-9bd1-94b88e9be988

    You can delete emails with attachments to make room for OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Olathe Guy 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T19:57:09.1966667+00:00

    This is just a variation of the tactic where companies make it impossible to cancel a subscription. You guys are bold, bit not slick.

    Was this answer helpful?