A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
The problem is fixed now
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Today, while trying to work on a novel I am writing, the Find function is no longer working – either Cmd-F or the magnifying glass. I need to be able to use this function to continue working efficiently! In an attempt to answer any questions up front:
- When did you first notice that Command-F stopped working? This morning (10/09). There was an update last night that changed the functionality of Word. Yes, the Find function works in other apps, including web browsers, emails, and Notes.
- Which version of Word are you using on the iPad? My iPadOS is version 26.0.1 and the Word version is 2.102. I updated iPadOS to 26.0.1 to today to make sure it was the latest version, and still doesn’t work.
- Are you working in a document saved locally or in OneDrive? Both – the search function does not work regardless of where the file is located
- Is the issue happening in all Word documents or just specific ones? Every Word document I have tried
- Are you using a physical keyboard or the on-screen keyboard? I have a physical keyboard, but it fails to work with the on-screen keyboard as well.
- Check Keyboard Functionality: Kindly test Command-F in another app (e.g., Safari or Notes) – the Search command works in multiple web browsers, email, and Notes
- Use on-screen Find tool – the on-scren Find tool (the little magnifying glass) does not work either. I type in a phrase – one I am looking at on screen, so I know it is in the document – and it closes without showing any actions
- Restart your iPad – I’ve restarted my iPad, three times
- Update Word and iPadOS (if they are not up to date) – as stated, I updated everything this morning. The problem started when I updated Word – automatically – last night
- Reinstall Microsoft Word – this is painful. I did this, not realizing ALL of my saved documents were in a Word File that would be deleted. I lost multiple chapters of a book I am writing, a cookbook I am writing of my favorite recipes, a journal, and multiple other highly important documents to me … because I deleted and reinstalled Word. I am NOT HAPPY with Word currently.
- Make sure your documents are backed up to OneDrive or iCloud first – yeah, should have double checked this, but it doesn’t change the fact that I never would have lost them if MICROSOFT hadn’t released a BONEHEADED update for Bug Fixes … and destroyed one of the main features of ANY word processor.
Please find a way to re-activate the Find or Find/Replace option – it’s stupid that it is nonfunctional.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
The problem is fixed now
FWIW I found the "FIND" function when I switched to MOBILE VIEW (using the icon at the upper right) and then had access to a SIMPLE find function (magnifying glass) that offers no changing /update options nor replace options.
I have found a solution that works for me. Now there appears to be two different apps: "word" and a "copilot". I cannot search in copilot but when I open with word, search works!!
I can longer create new word documents
It’s a huge issue - I’m paying for a subscription and I use the Find function all the time. This is a situation they need to sort out ASAP