Problem with in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to 2022

TomaszW-0873 156 Reputation points
2021-09-18T19:12:09.42+00:00

I have an issue when I try to do an in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to Windows Server 2022. Installation itself starts, run okay but after restarting, system reverts to older version of Windows and I got the following errors:

0x800F081E-0x2003
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation

Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other

23 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Sasha ASD 6 Reputation points
    2022-10-26T18:28:24.833+00:00

    Using ISO from Aug. 2021 was the solution for me.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Matt Starczak 1 Reputation point
    2022-10-10T03:02:38.027+00:00

    On Hosts running VMServer and ShadowProtect (backup solution)
    Increasing the number of processors to 2, and turning off Shadow Protect has worked reliably
    Once the upgrade is finished I turn Shadow Protect back on (deleting the chain first)
    I also was stupidly running the upgrade from a virtual disk mounted within the machine, switched to using the file attached to the virtual drive
    Currently I'm failing on HyperV but I'll see how it goes disabling the HyperV virtual adapter, in the end, I succeeded without doing this
    Free Space required 20gb
    2 Processors
    Deleted an old version of Microsoft Endpoint

    For HyperV, client I think has to be Gen2

    I failed several times on the most recent Server2022 Iso, but just had success with the August 2021 iso

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Val 1 Reputation point
    2022-08-01T21:49:13.21+00:00

    Removing the computer from the domain may help.
    Make sure you have local admin credentials.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Jesse Nanes 6 Reputation points
    2022-07-29T14:58:56.507+00:00

    I'm in this boat, but disabling Updates during install, disabling nic have not helped. I checked and do not have RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit installed.

    After my upgrade attempt from 2019 to 2022 I get "0xC1900101 – 0x20017 and in the setuperr log I see lots of :

    2022-07-29 09:53:44, Error [0x08085f] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: LoadLibraryExW(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServer-MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) failed gle=0x7f.[gle=0x0000007f]
    2022-07-29 09:53:44, Error [0x080863] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext() failed hr=0x8007007f.[gle=0x0000007f]
    2022-07-29 09:56:53, Error [0x08085f] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: LoadLibraryExW(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServer-MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) failed gle=0x7f.[gle=0x0000007f]
    2022-07-29 09:56:53, Error [0x080863] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext() failed hr=0x8007007f.[gle=0x0000007f]

    Please don't come here to say "iN pLaCe UpGraDe R BaD"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Steve 1 Reputation point
    2022-04-04T16:01:28.49+00:00

    I have the exact same issue / error has @Mike-2930 but ticking Not Right Now on the update during the setup does not resolve the issue and the upgrade fails.

    I don't have CMAK (RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit) installed on the server and I've also tried delating all of the profiles within the registry, except the local admin account that I'm using. No luck!

    Any one else have any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.