I WAS HACKED

MARK EDWARD MONTEMBEAU 40 Reputation points
2025-10-02T21:02:22.38+00:00

Last month I was hacked several times. While reading an article on Yahoo my desktop screen was taken over by pop ups. Also displayed was the Microsoft logo and a phone number to call. There was also a voice saying that Windows had taken over my screen due to unsafe activies and that I should call the number on the screen. The woman who answered asked me some questions and told me to type in some letters on a black screen with white letters like a DOS screen. Finally this woman told me to shut off my computer and to unplug it from the wall, and then wait 15 minutes while they restored my PC. I fell for this hook line and sinker the first two times, but the third time when it happened I imediately shut off my PC and pulled the plug. After 30 minutes I tried logging on again and everything was back to normal.

I have an HP All-In-One 24 PC with Windows 11 and Google Chrome as my browser.

My question is: How do I stop this from happening again? Please advise.

Mark Montembeau

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author and recommended by moderator
BryceSor 5,510 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-10-03T00:39:08.4+00:00

Hi MARK MONTEMBEAU, CP (CoPilot) helped me write this so a few things to check or adjust to be safe. 🛡️ 1. Harden Chrome Against Pop-Ups and Redirects These scams often hijack your browser using malicious ads or redirects.

Open Chrome

Click the three dots (⋮) in the top-right corner → Settings

Go to Privacy and Security → Site Settings

Scroll to Pop-ups and redirects → Set to “Don’t allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects”

Also check Ads → Block ads on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads

🧼 2. Clear Out Suspicious Extensions Some scams install browser extensions that keep the pop-ups coming.

In Chrome, go to Settings → Extensions

Remove anything unfamiliar or unused

Restart Chrome after cleaning

🧰 3. Run a Full Malware Scan Even if things seem normal now, it’s wise to double-check.

Open Windows Security → Virus & threat protection

Click Scan options → Choose Full scan

🔒 4. Enable Enhanced Protection in Chrome This helps detect dangerous sites before they load.

Chrome Settings → Privacy and Security → Security

Choose Enhanced protection

🚫 5. Never Call Numbers from Pop-Ups Microsoft, Google, or HP will never display phone numbers in pop-ups or ask you to type commands into a black screen. If it happens again:

  • Don’t click anything
  • Don’t call any number
  • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager and end Chrome
  • Restart your PC normally

Report the scam to MS here https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/concern/scam I also use this ad blocker like uBlock Origin, but like CK has said you can use others but do your own research on them, sorry for the long list but worth going through in my eyes. Sorry if the page changes styles

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
CrazyKats 20,005 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-10-13T20:37:23.4+00:00

Hi Mark,

Glad the Ad Blocker is working out.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

10 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. MARK EDWARD MONTEMBEAU 40 Reputation points
    2025-10-15T18:18:14.37+00:00

    Hi BryceSor!

    First, I tried to reply to your last post yesterday, but on MY screen this box I am typing in was not visible.

    Thanks for the explanation about the Microsoft Safety Scanner. Makes sense.

    Also, I DO use Microsoft Defender, and I HAVE tried to use the offline selection. But, I have not yet figured out how to use it properly. Like, it asks for a "recovery key" but I have not yet figure out how to get one. And loooking into it further I found a page that ays I have to get this key from another device.

    SO, I was wondering if you could give me another one of your welcomed detailed replies and tell me STEP BY STEP what I should do to get this to run properly? Please remember that I am using Chrome as my browser on my Windows 11 desktop, and I do not really want to get Edge involved in anyway.

    Thanks again once more for all the help you have given me!

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. MARK EDWARD MONTEMBEAU 40 Reputation points
    2025-10-13T20:32:44.1333333+00:00

    Hi CrazyKats and BryceSore!

    CrazyKats: Just wanted to thank you for the Ad Blocker idea. The one I selected seems to be doing fine!

    BryceSore: Thank you again for all the instructions you gave me! I do have a question about the safety scanner link you sent me though: I have run it a couple of times now and during the process it lists "Files Infected" but when it finishes it always says it found no problems. What's upwith that?

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. MARK EDWARD MONTEMBEAU 40 Reputation points
    2025-10-03T18:39:37.0933333+00:00

    Hi BryceSor!

    Thanks for joining in and offering your advice! I certainly appreciate it!

    Some of the suggestions on your list Ihad already done, but what I hadn't done I just did right now.

    So thank you also for youe help, and like I told CrazyKats, if I do get acked again I will let you know here.

    Thanks again,

                        Mark
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.