Mac Autoupdate Failure for Version 4.80 - Error Message on Update Attempt.

Mark Rustad 80 Reputation points
2025-09-07T05:01:07.0566667+00:00

A recent update sent a new autoupdate to my Mac. Since then, the autoupdate fails with "Update error...". I downloaded the installer from the troubleshooting page and get the same result. Clearly nothing will ever update until it is resolved. The version I have is 4.80.

For what it is worth, I never enable autoupdate, but approve updates as they arrive. That is inconvenient, as the autoupdater nags me about enabling autoupdate every 2 hours. I have complained about that behavior more than once in the past from a work account. Clearly no one tests using it without enabling autoupdate, which I will not do - I want to know what is updating and when. In this case, I know that the last thing updated was autoupdate, so it broke itself with the latest version.

I am running the latest released macOS Sequoia 15.6.1 on an M3 MacBook Pro.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Other

9 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ant-5478 6 Reputation points
    2025-10-20T14:06:16.15+00:00

    Yay, it working again right now! I didn’t do anything to fix it too. So, it was MS’ fault. :D What about the rest of you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Tim Cartwright 5 Reputation points
    2025-10-20T14:46:25.74+00:00

    I had the problem of the latest macOS Microsoft updater failing to find downloads for “Microsoft Error Reporting 2.2” and “Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1”, while not blocking other updates. I found the problematic apps in:

    /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MERP2.0/Microsoft Error Reporting.app
    /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/HV1.0/Microsoft Help Viewer.app
    

    The timestamps on all files within the MERP2.0 directory were from 2012 and within the HV1.0 one from 2008, so I deleted both the MERP2.0 and HV1.0 directories entirely. My updater app is happy now.

    Microsoft, if you are listening: Please clean up your old garbage from my filesystem, instead of making me search for it and do it myself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. PeteoBC 16 Reputation points
    2025-10-30T15:22:34.7666667+00:00

    Is this happening to anyone using setup manager to install Office during ADE?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Sabehia Mohamed 5 Reputation points
    2025-11-07T16:02:12.46+00:00

    I was experiencing the same issue when trying to update Microsoft apps 'Auto updater cannot connect to update server'. So at the updater window I clicked 'Advanced' and selected the Beta Channel and tried to update again. This time the error message was "Some apps have encountered errors' BUT it did update and successfully install all the apps - Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word and One Note. I've now reverted to Current Channel. It's worth a try! 😁

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.