Microsoft sign in from IPv6 associated with Microsoft

Trevor M 270 Reputation points
2025-07-27T21:14:14.2766667+00:00

This afternoon I noticed a successful sign in on my Microsoft account from an IPv6 address. I am located in the US, so this is abnormal. The address is 2a01:111:f402:f0f9::f147. The location shows as Phoenix, Arizona.

Upon looking into the address, the signs point to it being a Microsoft Data Center. I reset my password anyway just out of caution.

I already had MFA enabled, my password was reset two weeks prior to this for unrelated reasons, and I never received a login notification after this event. There are no unknown devices or apps connected to my account.

I did update and shutdown my PC around 10-30 minutes before the login appeared on my account. Could this be from a Microsoft service accessing my account?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Identity Manager

19 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Phil 0 Reputation points
    2025-09-20T12:24:06.1833333+00:00

    Same happened to me. It seems like this is common though I haven't seen any recent posts to this thread, so I'll add mine. This morning it happened from a successful login from Brazil and then a couple from the UK. You would think 2FA would kick in when you use your account in the US then a different device / login takes place in Brazil then seconds later in the UK. But, nothing suspicious there it seems.

    Unusual Activity - Brazil
    Device/platform
    Windows
    Browser/app
    Microsoft Edge
    IP address
    45.168.156.78

    Followed by Successful Login - UK

    Device/platform
    iOS
    Browser/app
    Safari
    IP address
    90.213.144.111

    Followed by Successful Login - UK

    Device/platform
    iOS
    Browser/app
    Safari
    IP address
    80.192.89.242

    All of which was 5 hours ago and not once did 2FA kick in 🤦‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. JH-6094 0 Reputation points
    2025-09-09T22:58:27.14+00:00

    Hi same here, I got this successful log in too on august 28th. I am in Oz too but he location of this IP address shows from Singapore. So here I am freaking out. I do have the 2 factor authentication and I did not get a log in email about this specific successful log in. So i obviously already updated all passwords. Any advice? Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. TheRealSebgamer-1873 25 Reputation points
    2025-09-03T18:09:17.5966667+00:00

    Hey,

    did somebody of you got such logins in the last few days? So I checked every day and tried to reproduce it again but no IPv6. It looks like it is fixed or do you still have such IPs in your activity log?

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Virginia M 42,340 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-08-25T18:05:10.4333333+00:00

    Microsoft’s servers have been hacked according to this article:

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4gdnz1nlgyo

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  5. Geoff Taylor 0 Reputation points
    2025-08-20T17:17:38.8433333+00:00

    I've had the same thing happen with 2 log entries both showing Microsoft as the source, both from Canada. I've signed out of everything and reset my password as a precaution, but I don't feel easy about this at all. Microsoft, what has happened?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.