Navigation Pane not showing search results

Anonymous
2025-06-01T21:15:25+00:00

First of all, I tried responding to another posters similar problem, but I cannot get my response to post, so I'm trying a fresh thread.

Out of nowhere a few days ago, the Navigation Pane in Word will stop showing search ("Find") results and will show only the number of hits, but not show what they are. Word is set for "incremental find," I have the latest versions of both Word 365 and Windows11, and until this started I have never ever had this problem before and I've been using Word for decades.

Here's what happens: I open the doc, the search function works as it should in the Navigation Pane, then suddenly it doesn't. The Navigation Pane is still open and maybe it'll show how many instances of whatever I'm searching for there are, but it doesn't show the actual text. Then it does other odd things, like showing "No" (instead of "None") if there are no hits to the search term. If I exit the doc and every other doc I have open, then go back into the doc, it'll work again, but then stop again, sometimes after only one search. This has happened on several docs. It's not about a corrupted file.

I need to see search results in the Navigation Pane since I don't have all day to search for each item individually. I have no idea how to fix this, and there's no useful guidance on this forum so far. I cannot use another word processing software since I'm freelancing for a company that uses Word.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-06T18:18:30+00:00

That was happening to me. I stumbled across the fix for my situation: drag and collapse size of the Navigation column, then you might see it. Worked for me!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

20 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-21T04:15:57+00:00

    Thanks PDX person, I tried the drag and collapse size of the Navigation column you suggested and Headings are back. You have saved me much time and frustration. Have an awesome week.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-13T16:43:42+00:00

    Yes, you must reduce size of navigation pane by dragging to left, and results will show up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T21:00:07+00:00

    Sending you some love for this easy fix! Have a wonderful upcoming weekend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-06-01T22:12:46+00:00

    Version of Word that you are using? Name of product and update number?

    File > Account > About Word

    Version of Windows and update?

    Does this occur if you start Word in safe mode?

    Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC - Microsoft Office

    A screenshot would be helpful.

    How to include a screenshot in your post here in the Microsoft Community

    How to Ask Questions In this Forum (to get the best and quickest answers)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments