Navigation Pane not showing search results

Anonymous
2025-06-01T21:15:25+00:00

First of all, I tried responding to another posters similar problem, but I cannot get my response to post, so I'm trying a fresh thread.

Out of nowhere a few days ago, the Navigation Pane in Word will stop showing search ("Find") results and will show only the number of hits, but not show what they are. Word is set for "incremental find," I have the latest versions of both Word 365 and Windows11, and until this started I have never ever had this problem before and I've been using Word for decades.

Here's what happens: I open the doc, the search function works as it should in the Navigation Pane, then suddenly it doesn't. The Navigation Pane is still open and maybe it'll show how many instances of whatever I'm searching for there are, but it doesn't show the actual text. Then it does other odd things, like showing "No" (instead of "None") if there are no hits to the search term. If I exit the doc and every other doc I have open, then go back into the doc, it'll work again, but then stop again, sometimes after only one search. This has happened on several docs. It's not about a corrupted file.

I need to see search results in the Navigation Pane since I don't have all day to search for each item individually. I have no idea how to fix this, and there's no useful guidance on this forum so far. I cannot use another word processing software since I'm freelancing for a company that uses Word.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-06T18:18:30+00:00

That was happening to me. I stumbled across the fix for my situation: drag and collapse size of the Navigation column, then you might see it. Worked for me!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

20 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T20:01:38+00:00

    Thanks!

    Original poster here. I haven't had a chance to respond since I'm working on a deadline and the problem went away to an extent, so I haven't felt so desperate the last few days. But I'm going to try the drag-and-collapse method if/when it reappears. Knowing Microsoft, it will reappear.

    And don't get me started on the so-called modern comments!

    Update: Ah! It started again and the drag-and-collapse method absolutely worked. Huge thanks to you, PDXPerson!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T19:39:52+00:00

    Thank you so much for posting this. I was having the same problem, just started the past week or so. I dragged and collapsed the Navigation pane and it worked like a charm. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.9K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-06-02T21:21:36+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T16:12:30+00:00

    Glad to help you all :-) :-)! I just stumbled across the answer after trying other suggestions. Thank goodness indeed :-).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments