How to disable automatic updates for OneDrive on Mac?

Anonymous
2024-11-29T07:00:13+00:00

Split from this thread.

Hi Pyke, I seem to be back to square one. On logging on this morning I find that Onedrive can no longer open. When I click on the app it says I require OS 13 or later and has a last modified time of yesterday. Therefore it seems it has somehow updated again. I hadn't yet run the Terminal steps you mentioned above but had deleted the Autoupdater. Should I just run through the whole process of deleting Onedrive and installing again? And how do I prevent this from recurring?

Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-29T07:13:01+00:00

    Dear Nikhil,

    I'm splitting this question from your old previous thread because it's a brand new question and doing so helps attract people who know the correct answer to answer it.

    There are two options that I know of at this time for this question. You can try them and see if one of them helps you solve it, with the caveat that you may need to perform the previous steps to reinstall an older version of OneDrive.

    The first one:

    1. Do not run OneDrive after installation.
    2. Launch the Terminal app.
    3. Open a terminal: Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, type "terminal" in the search field, and then click Terminal.
    4. Enter the following command to end the update process:
       launchctl remove com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater
       sudo launchctl remove com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdaterDaemon
       sudo launchctl remove com.microsoft.OneDriveUpdaterDaemon
      
    5. Enter the following command to delete the configuration file:
       sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.plist
       sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdaterDaemon.plist
       sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.OneDriveUpdaterDaemon.plist
      

    Second type:

    Open "Terminal", paste each line of command below into the terminal and press Enter to execute.

    Its function is to remove the execution permission of the automatically updated program, and the update program cannot be executed.

    chmod -x '/Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/OneDrive Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/OneDriveUpdater'
    
    chmod -x /Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/StandaloneUpdater.app/Contents/MacOS/OneDriveStandaloneUpdater
    

    I hope the above information is helpful to you. If you make any progress, please let me know.

    Best Wishes

    Pyke.D | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments