Windows Outlook Requiring Microsoft 365 Subscription to use Word Despite Installation of Word for Business

Anonymous
2024-03-07T18:01:45+00:00

Hi Helpful People,

I have Microsoft Office Home and Business 2021 installed and use that version of Outlook for business. I also use that version of Word for all matters.

I also use the Outlook app built into Windows for personal email and some minor business matters I do not want to be intertwined with official business matters.

I attached a Word document to an email of the built-in Outlook, tried to open it before sending the email, and received the following message: "A Microsoft 365 subscription is required to use the Word desktop app."

However, as I said, I already have Microsoft Office Home and Business 2021, which includes the Word desktop app. Please see the screenshot showing the 365 Subscription requirement along with the screenshot showing I already have Office installed.

Why does Windows tell me I need a subscription to use Word when I already have Word installed?

I am very busy due to work and a baby and I have no free time. How do we quickly and easily fix this?

Thank you,

Matt

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

9 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-11-05T14:37:23+00:00

    Which version of Office do you have? In most cases, you can just start the classic Outlook from the Windows Start menu. Pin a shortcut to the taskbar for easy access. The screen shot below is from Windows 10.

    Also, you can set Outlook classic as the Windows default for e-mail. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/make-outlook-the-default-program-for-email-contacts-and-calendar-ff7990c4-54c4-4390-8fe3-c0285226f021.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T19:22:58+00:00

    Actually Msoft help solved it. New Outlook is asking free app and does not recognize my 365 subscription. I just needed to reloaded and use classic outlook. I had to add back in all profiles i.e. other email accounts (google) and all works well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-10-11T18:36:43+00:00

    Same issue here

    If you download the attachment to your hard drive, then can you open the document in Word by double-clicking the icon, without getting an error message?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T15:56:12+00:00

    Same issue here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-07T18:16:53+00:00

    Update: Windows Outlook will open a preview if I single click on the file in the email, but gives the subscription requirement if I try to double click on the file.

    The file is attached normally, not using OneDrive.

    (I'd welcome suggestions for removing the OneDrive option because I often drag a file over and Outlook attaches it to OneDrive because I dropped it on the left half of the email window. I do not want the OneDrive option because I find the OneDrive user interface unintuitive/non-user-friendly compared to DropBox).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments