Can I install both Microsoft 365 and Office 2021 on the same computer in different user profiles

Charles Kenyon 171.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-09-17T07:47:35+00:00

I have both, and regularly answer questions here in the Word forum. My laptop with 365 just died and I would like to be able to access both on one machine, even if I have to switch users.

I know that I can't have both on the same computer with the same user.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

11 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-21T05:11:23+00:00

    Sometime it does :) Thanks for the update.

    You can refer below link to create Virtual machine in Azure. You can Deploy and monitor virtual machines (VMs) using 12 months of free services

    https://azure.microsoft.com/products/virtual-machines

    https://azure.microsoft.com/free/virtual-machines/

    Hope this information would be useful to you. Please feel free to get back if you need any additional info.

    Thank you! Ravikumar Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,621 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-21T14:03:53+00:00

    You have 4 options:

    Hyper V - free, but only in Windows Pro.

    VMWare (not free) - runs on your computer

    Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) - runs on your computer

    or Azure (limited free use) - these are hosted online.

    You can use windows in trial mode - you have the office software licenses, so that is not a problem.

    I used to use VMWare and Azure, now use Hyper-V and Azure (I have an MSDN subscription, which include some credits for Azure). VirtualBox is popular, but I have not used it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-21T18:52:09+00:00

    You have 4 options:

    Hyper V - free, but only in Windows Pro.

    VMWare (not free) - runs on your computer

    Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) - runs on your computer

    or Azure (limited free use) - these are hosted online.

    You can use windows in trial mode - you have the office software licenses, so that is not a problem.

    I used to use VMWare and Azure, now use Hyper-V and Azure (I have an MSDN subscription, which include some credits for Azure). VirtualBox is popular, but I have not used it.

    I have Windows Pro.

    I also have an MSDN subscription, which I may need to figure out, I guess.

    Which gives superior results?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,621 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-22T23:27:55+00:00

    I have Windows Pro.

    I also have an MSDN subscription, which I may need to figure out, I guess.

    Which gives superior results?

    Since you have msdn, I'd go with hyper-v. It think it uses less resources than the others. I often have 5 or 6 running in the background (I have 64GB ram). It's easy to use Remote Desktop to access the VMs or you can access them through the hyper-v app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Charles Kenyon 171.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-29T03:10:26+00:00

    I sought chat help with a related problem on completely removing Office 2021 so that 365 could become active:

    Remove Office 2021 completely and install Microsoft 365 - Microsoft Community

    I sort of resolved both issues. I'm not completely sure, but seem to have both Office 2021 Professional and Microsoft 365 installed at once. There is a button to switch licenses (not accounts, but licenses). I've detailed more about it in that thread.

    I have yet to restart my computer after doing this. Currently, when Word is started it shows as being in Office 2021. However, it has the Dictate group on the Home tab. I can switch the license and then the about shows Microsoft 365 and the interface does not change, it remains what I would expect in 365. I know that before I started using that button, I was seeing the Word 2021 interface, not 365.

    I am going to bed now but will shut the computer down.

    When I start back up tomorrow I will report back on what I see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments