Being Told to Pay for Office 365 or Lose Program in Five Days

Anonymous
2023-06-05T23:23:39+00:00

Last night, I opened up an Office product (Excel) on my home computer for the first time in a year and got a message that I needed to register Office 365 with Microsoft in five days or my access to all Office products would be shut off. The thing is, I purchased my computer 7 or 8 years ago and bought whatever version of Office (Excel and Word, specifically) was current then, and I have never agreed to purchase or upgrade to a newer version.

So, these messages kept popping up and I eventually clicked on the button for registering, and it immediately told me I needed to PAY Microsoft, not just to register. That really frosts me.

I don't want or need Office 365 for my home use, and I didn't request it. Maybe in another year or two if I buy a new PC for home use I might get it as the then-current software. I don't use Office products regularly at home, but I do want to have access to the Office products I purchased when Obama was still president without being given "pay up now or lose it" ultimatums by Microsoft. Is there a way to go back to the earlier version of Office that I had, preferably one that doesn't require me to pay Microsoft more money?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-06-06T01:02:05+00:00

Hello Bill,

Greetings for the day! I’m an Independent Advisor and Microsoft user like you and I'm glad to provide you information regarding your scenario.

Could you please let us know which version of office have you installed?

Please find the steps below to find the details about version.

  1. If you have Windows, open a Word document, choose File from the top left corner, and then click either Account or Help on the left nav bar.
  2. You’ll see your Office version and information under Product information, on the right side of the window.

Office activation is onetime and it will not force you to register again until the license has been removed from the system.

If Office activation fails, you'll see Unlicensed Product or Non-commercial use / Unlicensed Product in the title bar of your Office apps, and most features of Office are disabled. To restore all features of Office, you'll need to fix the problem that's causing activation to fail.

Do you remember what type of product or license you have received when you purchased the computer? There may be chances for license expiry. If you don't want use Office 365, Microsoft offers three suites through volume licensing—Office Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) Professional Plus 2021, Office LTSC Standard 2021, and Office LTSC Standard for Mac 2021.

Please find the details here - https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/enterprise/microsoft-office-volume-licensing-suites-comparison

Hope this information would be useful to you. Please feel free to get back if you need any additional info.

Thank you! Ravikumar Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-12T16:16:13+00:00

    Thank you! This was very helpful. Doing that showed I was being prompted to reactivate Office 2013, not pay for Office 365 as the messages were saying. The account was reactivated before the five day deadline expired.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments