Spell Check Keeps Popping Up

Anonymous
2010-12-26T07:03:20+00:00

My spell check box keeps popping up out of the blue in my Word, Excel and Outlook. It will not go away and I can't type after the box pops up.  I have turned off auto spell check.  It just started doing this recently and I can't use my computer due to this.  How to fix and why did this occur? Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-12-26T07:16:13+00:00

It could possibly be a faulty keyboard.  In Office applications, the F7 key launches the spell checker and perhaps it is being activated in some way.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-29T10:54:37+00:00

Try to open Word 2010 programs in application safe and check.

Go to Start->Click on All programs-> Accessories-> Run->

Type winword /safe and Click on ok (Note: There should be a space between d and ‘/’)

If it works fine in application safe, then try to disable the adobe addins.

How to disable Add-ins in Word 2010:-

Step1: Click the File Tab in Word 2010 and Click Word Options.

Step2: In the left hand side of the Word Options dialog box, click Add-Ins.

Step3: Under ‘Manage’ Click the COM Add-ins

Step4: Uncheck all the Add-Ins listed under COM Add-ins.

Step5: Click close and restart Word.


Ganesh Kumar N

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

19 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-08T03:05:27+00:00

    Happy to report that I seem to have solved the problem and it did not require wiping the computer clean. I did the following:

    1. I ran 3 virus scans: Microsoft Essentials (regular security on my computer), then turned off Microsoft Essentials real time scanning in order to run ComboFix, which cleaned up files a bit (including Lenovo files that clutter things up), but didn't find anything, and Malwarebytes, which also didn't find anything.
    2. Under Word Options, Languages, I deleted all languages except English.
    3. Under Windows Firewall, I unticked Remote Assistance, not allowing it to communicate through the Firewall
    4. I uninstalled Intel Management Engine, which is an authorized remote assistance service used by businesses

    I'm not running the spell check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T20:38:15+00:00

    I'm sorry for people who are not familiar with computers, this is hard to follow. 

    Is there any possibility you could put this in steps?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more