I can confirm this is now also working for myself.
The Windows Server Essentials Service cannot synchronize the user password to the online identity repository
Hi there.
Recently. I have the below error coming up on multiple 2016 essential servers when doing password changes via the Essentials Dashboards.
I can confirm that passwords are not syncing to 365.
I have tired disabling 365 integration. Then re enabling. Same issue.
Anyone else seen this issue?
Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Shawn P. Lemay 21 Reputation points2021-10-08T14:10:20.817+00:00 This is great news - now the question of is this retroactive? Meaning any password changes from the past few months are now being sync'd - or do they need to change their password again for it to sync?
-
Ishtiaq 71 Reputation points
2021-10-08T13:58:48.263+00:00 Good news, Password synch is now working, although I've not yet heard it from Microsoft in response to our support ticket. Just tested on a couple of Client server and it works!
Lets hope its a permanent fix... -
Will Dreiling 1 Reputation point
2021-10-05T21:02:19.753+00:00 Don't know if anyone else can repro, and it's definitely suboptimal, but we managed to fix this by temporarily enabling user password resets in AAD.
-
BP-7667 136 Reputation points
2021-09-23T18:19:01.497+00:00 Just talked with an O365 support rep on this issue. They said I will need to open a ticket with the On-Prem support team, and that it was paid support. They said it was a known issue, and gave me a link to this post (which I had already found and sent the link with my initial O365 ticket request. They also said it was basically the On-Prem teams problem and not O365.
I suspect that O365 changed the Graph segment of Azure AD and failed to coordinate with the Server Essentials 2016 team. Since Essentials 2016 was in that awkward place between SBS 2011 and Essentials 2019 of forcing transition into the cloud and removal of On-Prem services, it is likely this small segment did not seem important. Unfortunately many businesses likely used 2016 because 2019 did not have the Access Anywhere function many have leaned on since SBS 2003/2008.
O365 will likely not make any change that will allow the sync to work, and it will be on the Server 2016 to fix where the password sync tool attempts to connect with a patch or update.