Incorrect description of web-site in Outlook & Bing previews

Anonymous
2021-12-13T15:04:53+00:00

Hello! We have a very strange behavior of Outlook (web version). If I add link to new message, then Outlook will get description for preview from first item of header menu, but not from meta description tag of the site. More interesting, In Bing case, it get description for preview from last item header menu, but not from meta description tag too. Page have meta description tag and this bug only Outlook and Bing. In Facebook, Google, etc don't have any problems.

I thinked, that this behavior depends on Bing cache. I have completed query about to clean cache for this page used webmaster tools, but it didn’t work out.

Also, I found many info on this site with same bugs, but I don't found solution. URL, If it need, I can show only support of Microsoft.

Outlook | Web | Outlook on the web for business | Email

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-16T09:59:44+00:00

    Ok, thanks! I wrote to support of Bing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-16T09:46:59+00:00

    Dear WP Dev,

    Thanks for your patience and understanding!

    If changing browsers and closing the Link Preview feature doesn't help you, it could be that there is something wrong with bing's web page

    Bing is a search engine that is integrated in OWA. It is also the one responsible with the running of the Link Preview feature. To ensure that the website content is appropriately displayed in OWA Link Preview, we suggest that you submit this concern on our Bing Support team. This way they will be aware of how they display the content for each website and for them to resolve this concern. To get in touch with them, click this link, select the burger icon at the top-right of the page and then choose Feedback. Once you have submitted or sent your concern, it will direct you to one of our technical support.

    Thank you again for your time!

    Best regards,

    Kerry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-15T16:59:02+00:00

    Also, we use business account Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-14T07:43:49+00:00

    Thanks! I found this solution on the community pages and I did it even before create this topic. Not. It's variant don't works for me, problem doesn't resolves.

    Ok, I try clarify this bug once again. We have web-site. And previews for all pages look are correct in Outlook, Bing, Google, Facebook,etc. But one page have incorrect description in preview only for Outlook and Bing. Once again - Google, Facebook has correct description for this page. At start I thought that page doesn't have description meta tag. I checked code, and I made sure, that all right - page has meta description tag:

    <meta name="description" content="we have this some content" />
    

    Moreover, I wrote above Google, Facebook show correct description for preview, from meta description tag from this page. And Ok, you wrote about resolve bug for Outlook (it's doesn't work for me), but Bing show incorrect too. How resolve this problem for Bing? I cleared cache for this page used Bing Web-master tool, but it doesn't help me too. Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-14T02:54:06+00:00

    Dear WP Dev,

    Thanks for choosing Microsoft community!

    Based on your description, please kindly try to insert a different hyperlink and see if there is the same problem. For example, if you insert a URL like this: "https://www.microsoft.com"

    If there is the same result, I recommend you can turn off Link Preview feature firstly and sign out your account, then re-enable it to check the result. You can find the Link Preview setting by clicking Settings > View all Outlook settings > Mail > Compose and reply > Link preview.

    ![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/83755adb-e4a8-4c36-b3be-6fa6ef2a6047?platform=QnA

    In addition, you can try using a different browser to sign into your account and see if it show the correct description of your website link.

    If the problem persists and you need further assistance, may I confirm whether you are using business account or you are using the free version Outlook.com account?

    Hope this can help you!

    Best regards,

    Kerry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments