Function "Create Planner Task" disappeared from MS Teams

Anonymous
2025-03-03T11:41:57+00:00

I have been frequently using "Create Planner Task" from MS Teams Chat message. This function disappeared from our environment in both desktop and mobile version last week. It was around switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11, but not exactly on the same day. Was this function intentionally removed or shall I do anything to re-enable it? Thanks in advance.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T14:34:52+00:00

    Dear Petr Zelenka

    Thanks for your quick response!

    Based on your further description, Microsoft Teams seems currently has a limitation where you cannot create Planner tasks from messages sent by external users (those outside your organization).

    It's great that you identified the root cause! If you frequently need to create tasks from external messages, you might consider using a workaround, such as manually creating the tasks in Planner.

    If you have other questions, please feel free to post here.

    Thanks for your precious time and your understanding would be highly appreciated. Have a nice day! 

    Sincerely, 

    Allen | Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T14:05:30+00:00

    Many thanks for the hints. In the meantime, I have found probable root cause. MS Teams does not allow me to create Planner tasks from messages from External users (Outside of our organization). On internal users it works. So probably it is some limitation. By coincidence my last 3 needs to create task were from external users and I have not noticed this limitation earlier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T13:17:00+00:00

    Dear Petr Zelenka

    Good day!

    Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist!

    Based on your description, I understand you concern with no function "Create Planner Task" in Teams. To narrow down your issue, could you please allow me to collect more details?

    May I know whether you have the same issue in Teams on the web?

    May I know whether you have updated the latest version of Teams Version update history for Teams app deployments - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn? 

    May I know whether you have tried to check More actions?

    On the other hand, please have a try to click create new action and search.

    In the meanwhile, to first troubleshooting, please have a try to do following steps:

    • Re-enable Planner App: Go to the Teams admin center and ensure that the Planner app is enabled for your organization
    • Re-add the Planner Tab: Try re-adding the Planner tab to your Teams channel. Sometimes, re-adding the tab can refresh the connection and restore functionality
    • Reset Teams app: You can try to reset the Teams app and check if there is any difference. Clear Teams cache - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn
    • Re-install Teams: You may have a try to reinstall Teams and check whether the issue still persists.

    I look forward to your response.

    Thanks for your precious time and your understanding would be highly appreciated. Have a nice day!

    Best regards,

    Allen | Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments