cannot create EFI system partition. Error: 0x000036B7 when running mbr2gpt.exe Cannot find what this error means

Anonymous
2023-04-20T13:07:21+00:00

On an ACER Aspire A315 laptop, running Windows 10, I'm trying to convert the BIOS from 'Legacy' to 'UEFI'. When I run mbr2gpt.exe I get "cannot create EFI system partition.  Error: 0x000036B7".

Can someone help me please?

Thanks

David

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

8 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T10:56:47+00:00

    Thanks, I used the free Aomei Partition Assistant,.. This worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-31T15:35:05+00:00

    Hi, thanks for this hint. Unfortunately it doesn't work:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>mbr2gpt /convert /allowFullOS

    MBR2GPT will now attempt to convert the default book disk.

    If conversion is successful the disk can only be booted in GPT mode.

    These changes cannot be undone!

    MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 1

    MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk

    MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes

    MBR2GPT: Trying to shrink the OS partition

    MBR2GPT: Creating the EFI system partition

    Cannot create EFI system partition. Error: 0x000036B7

    MBR2GPT-undo: Extending back the OS partition

    MBR2GPT: Conversion failed

    How shall I proceed?

    Andreas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 936.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-04-20T14:55:20+00:00

    Hi David,

    Just checking in with you, how are you getting on with this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments