Error trying to update KB5044284

Anonymous
2024-10-08T21:21:38+00:00

When trying to update to KB5044284, I received an error message 0x800736b3. I click the button to retry, but the same thing happens.

Using 24H2 26100.1882. When 24H2 came out, I did a clean installation from a USB drive.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
John DeV 170.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-10-09T22:21:00+00:00

If the issue persists, please try performing an In-place Upgrade. It will definitely help in resolving update errors. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while your personal files, settings and installed applications will not be removed.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Few things to check on the PC

**Unplug all external peripherals except for the Mouse, Keyboard, and LAN cable before starting

**Disable or uninstall any 3rd party Anti-Virus program to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have further concerns by clicking the "Reply" button below to continue the conversation.

Kind regards,

John DeV

Independent Advisor

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

14 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T15:14:24+00:00

    Can you share how you solved this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T16:27:24+00:00

    OK, I am about to start ripping my hair out with this one!!!!!!!!!!!

    KB5044284 just outright will not complete on my machine!
    It just downloads, runs the install, the when I restart, gets to 40%, then says that it ran into issues and is undoing everything!

    I have done SFC scan, no issues found!
    chkdsk run, no issues!

    Stopped and started all necessary services! Same issue.

    Done the recommended inplace upgrade, then is checked for updates and same thing happened!
    AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

    I cannot fix this issue!
    Also being a work machine, we cannot afford downtime to format and reinstall only to "maybe" get the same errors!

    Come on Microsoft...... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE how can I fix this or just stop this KB5044284 from running and failing every time!

    OH! And now on top of that all, when it undoing whatever changes, now it's giving as BSOD with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED! (ntoskrnl.exe+56a59b)

    How and Why?????????

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T23:13:44+00:00

    Even though I had done a clean install of W11 a few days before this update, I too experienced this issue. I tried all of the solutions here and elsewhere. I am pleased to share that the In-place Upgrade worked. Frustrating to troubleshoot and thank you, John!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T14:16:02+00:00

    I performed an in place upgrade with ISO version 26100.1742 and then installed manually kb5043080 and then kb5044284 and it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments