Not able to add my account to Microsoft Authenticator

Anonymous
2025-04-01T14:15:25+00:00

Need help on adding account to Microsoft Authenticator please.

I'm trying to enable FaceID on my notebook. Microsoft Authenticator approval is required.

However, I'm not able to add my account to the Microsoft Authenticator.

I can login using my email and password. But then the APP asked for codes, which should be generated from the APP. If I click "I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now" link at the bottom, it'll just jump to the previous page which is "Approve a request on my Microsoft Authenticator app".

It's a dead loop.

Somehow I can't upload the screenshots from my mobile phone. Also sorry that I am not able to select the right products from the dropdown list. Microsoft Authenticator app is not on there.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Connect Phone and PC

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
SD - IA 180.9K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-04-03T02:35:27+00:00

>>Would it work to ask the administrator to disable my 2FA, and enable it back?

Is this a Work or School account? Awesome - I assumed that you were talking about a personal MSA, haha. This explains why you can't get a code via SMS either.

Please reach out to the admin to reset your two-factor authentication (2FA), which will allow you to reconfigure it. In the future, make sure to back up your configuration to the cloud to prevent this issue from happening again. :)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

6 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-02T17:01:33+00:00

    Thank you Sumit.

    Still doesn't work. The link led me to my account page. Whenever I tried to add or access my security page, it'll ask for my Authenticator code again.

    Would it work if I ask the administrator to disable my 2FA, and enable it back?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. SD - IA 180.9K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-04-02T12:57:27+00:00

    Thank you.

    In a private Window, open this URL:

    https://account.live.com/

    Sign in using your Phone Number instead of Email and click Forgot password.

    See if you can get a code for your phone number.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments