Explorer wont stop scrolling up or down when I'm selecting multiple files

Anonymous
2025-04-11T18:25:45+00:00

Explorer wont stop scrolling up or down when I'm selecting multiple files, when i let go of the left click it keeps scrolling.

I have tried:

  • Resetting explorer.
  • Uninstalling mouse & keyboard drivers.
  • Updating mouse & keyboard drivers.
  • Using another mouse.
  • Using a different USB port.
  • Uninstalling latest windows update.

I am using windows 10, and had this issue before and managed to resolved it but forget how it was done, and cant find answers online. I had a windows update yesterday and the problem is back again. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have a lot to do that i need to select multiple files at once. Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Estrella721 46,670 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-04-12T20:11:57+00:00

Thank you for the reply. In this case, try a repair in-place upgrade while keeping your files and apps. This helps fix or replace any corrupted files that may be causing the problem.

Note: Before doing so, unplug all unnecessary external peripherals connected to your PC, and temporarily disable any third-party antivirus program to avoid interference.

  1. Click the 'Download now' button under 'Create Windows 10 Installation Media' and save it to your computer: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/win...
  2. Run the downloaded file and select 'Yes' when prompted by User Account Control (UAC).
  3. Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms if you agree.
  4. On the 'What do you want to do?' screen, select 'Upgrade this PC now' and click 'Next.'

(This stage will download, verify, and create the Windows 10 or 11 installation media.) It will take some time to complete.

  1. Under 'Choose what to keep,' select 'Keep personal files and apps,' then click 'Next.'
  2. Click 'Install,' and the installation will begin. (This process will take some time, so please be patient.)

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

8 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-12T14:24:39+00:00

    Hi Estrella, thank you very much for you reply. I am only after trying all of your suggestions, sadly nothing here has resolved my issue. Its frustrating because I have had the same issue before & found a fix for it, but cant remember what that fix was.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-11T19:28:32+00:00

    Hi Roy, thank you for your reply.

    I have already said the things I have tried, all of these you have suggested I have said I've done. My issue started again since I updated window's yesterday. I then uninstalled the latest update, but still have the issue.

    I have uninstalled the mouse & keyboard, then installed them again & searched for latest drivers (which there were no new ones)

    So I'm lost on what to do next. I am more certain this is a windows explorer issue, as selecting multiple text on a website etc using the left click works as it should. It selects all the text until I let go of the left click. So that would make me think it's an explorer issue, would you agree?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Estrella721 46,670 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-04-11T20:06:25+00:00

    Hi, I'm Estrella. I'll do my best to help you.

    I understand that you're experiencing an issue with File Explorer continuously scrolling when selecting multiple files after a recent Windows Update, and that you've already tried several troubleshooting steps without success.

    In the meantime, try disconnecting all external devices connected to your computer—such as controllers, keyboards, etc.—and leave only the mouse connected. Does the issue still persist?

    If yes, please try the following:

    >>Perform a clean boot to check for interference causing the issue.

    https://support.microsoft.com/topic/how-to-perf...

    If the problem goes away after a clean boot, it suggests a conflict with a third-party program. Start by enabling the programs you disabled one by one to identify the culprit.

    >>Restart Windows Explorer

    1. On your keyboard, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc
    2. Choose the Processes tab.
    3. Scroll down and find Windows Explorer
    4. Right-click on it then select Restart.

    >>Clear File Explorer cache

    In the search bar, type 'File Explorer options' and press Enter.

    Under the General tab, click the 'Clear' button next to 'Clear File Explorer history.'

    Then, click 'Apply' and 'OK.'

    >>If none of the solutions work, a System Restore might be helpful. Keep in mind that this process will uninstall programs and drivers added since the restore point was established, but your files will be safe.

    Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

    Type "rstrui.exe" and press Enter.

    The System Restore window will open. Click "Next."

    Select a restore point from a date when your computer was working correctly.

    Click "Next," then "Finish."

    Your computer will restart, and the system will be restored to the selected restore point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-11T19:13:54+00:00

    Dear ,Kevin Maguire2 Welcome to Microsoft Community.That sounds incredibly frustrating, especially when everything worked smoothly before.There's no need to worry; I'm here to assist, and we can work together to resolve this issue effectively.Here are some steps you can try to resolve your issue.

    Update Windows and Mouse Drivers: Ensure that the windows and mouse drivers are up to date

    Check Mouse Settings: Check the mouse setting and make sure all setting are correctly implied. Also try different USB ports or test another mouse.

    Best Regards,Roy Monorov| Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments