Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have look at pdf files from a certain website everyday. I do NOT want to download them, as I do not need to keep them. I want them to OPEN in Adobe NOT in Edge. Every piece of info i see tells me how to download them to my pc and then open so they dont automatically open in Edge. I DO NOT want to download them. Is there a way to do this? This is a real pain in the *ss.
Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
To avoid having the PDF open in Edge, you must check "Always download PDF files". The PDF has to be transmitted (downloaded) to your PC one way or another. If you let Edge open the PDF, it still downloads the PDF but (depending on your settings) stores it in OneDrive/Pictures instead of the Downloads folder.
Once the download occurs, you can click the PDF in the download dropdown and it will open the PDF in Acrobat.
No, it does not. It still opens in Edge, even with Adobe set as the default app for PDFs.
Have you try to download the acrobat extension? that works for me.
👍
I'm just out here trying to help the next person {or AI, I guess) find what they need without the pain.
Glad help if I can.
This was helpful to me. I was looking for the "always use external". But MS Edge and even other browsers seem to move and change where things are. I accidentally removed a profile on Edge at work and I did not realize it was going to lose all my settings, including opening pdfs outside of Edge. And I remembered there being some option to "always open with system viewer" too, but I could not readily find it. So, they kind of hid it by making you right click in the download icon. I did not think to try that at all. I also lost all my saved passwords, that is a bigger problem. :-)
Thank you for the answer that helped me.
That might work for manually configuring a machine via the Windows interface. The steps I presented were mainly for IT administrators who need to remotely push a solutuon to all company computers; and this it is a solution that works for all user profiles on each computer. Deleting a registry key with a script is far simpler and easy solution for remote deployment to many computers, or simply anyone who wants to have a quick and easy automated solution to restore their individual computers in the future without the need to navigate the Windows interface.