Issue where remote desktop connection to Windows 11 Pro (24H2) cannot be established

Anonymous
2024-11-07T01:26:52+00:00

Nice to meet you.

Currently, when connecting to a remote desktop computer on Windows 11 Pro (24H2), authentication passes but the screen freezes afterwards.

Environment

  • Accounts are managed by Active Directory.
  • The AD server is Windows Server 2019, and all Windows Updates have been applied.
  • The remote PC is managed by Active Directory, and the remote connection account is an AD account.
  • There were no problems when the OS of the remote PC was Windows 11 Pro (23H2).

Event

  • When connecting remotely within the local network, the screen freezes after authentication about once in five times.
  • When connecting via VPN, the screen freezes after authentication frequently (almost 100% of the time).
  • I tried to stop all security software and firewalls at the remote and remote sources, but there was no change.
  • Very rarely, there are times when I can connect and use the computer without any problems.
  • There are no errors in the event log, and I could not find any logs that were different from when I connected normally.
    ・The same phenomenon has been confirmed on multiple devices.
    ・This issue was confirmed in late October 2024. It may have just happened that I didn't notice it until then, but we have confirmed that on a test device where Windows Update was progressed one step at a time, remote connections became unstable when the device was updated to 24H2.

Since we cannot revert the remote PC to 23H2, this is causing fatal problems with remote work and remote work when away from home.

Is there a patch or workaround for this?

Thank you in advance.

<Moderator's Note> *** Moved from ja-jp. *** *** Moved from Windows / Windows 11 / Settings ***

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Remote desktop services and terminal services

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-11-28T15:12:55+00:00

For us rolling out the Group Policy company-wide probably solves this issue until it gets fixed by Microsoft:

Local Computer Policy> Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Remote Session Environment > Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper - set to Enabled

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

22 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-12T00:21:58+00:00

    I have posted this issue on the Feedback Hub.

    Please search for “Remote desktop connection is slow on 24H2” on the Feedback Hub.

    Please add your comments and support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-09T10:31:37+00:00

    Thank you for your reply.
    I was testing a method of disabling "Desktop Background" from the RPD dialog experience on the client side when connecting to remote desktop.
    So far, this has mostly improved the situation.

    I would like to configure it using Active Directory group policies and conduct further testing.
    (This should likely eliminate most connection errors.)

    I am very grateful for everyone's advice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-09T09:51:44+00:00

    While it does not solve the issue completely it is a significant improvement in my case since I was barely able to get the screen working (maybe once in 10 attempts) and now it works 9 times of 10 attempts. Thank you for that and now I am looking for a fix from Microsoft since the machines are one next to each other (in test environment) with much more then 100 Mbps of bandwidth available, so I don't see why some background should be an issue (plus it worked flawlessly prior to 24H2 upgrade) :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-03T22:39:09+00:00

    Thank you King! You solved this for us! Adding this policy prevented the RDP frozen session upon reconnection issue we were having!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments