How to fix the error "AADSTS50076: Due to a configuration change made by your administrator, or because you moved to a new location, you must use multi-factor authentication to access

Francescopio Pascale 105 Reputation points
2023-05-20T14:30:45.38+00:00

hello I am trying to make a request to obtain the token "https://login.microsoftonline.com/organizations/oauth2/v2.0/token" where I have set all the various fields in the body, such as client_id, scope, username, password, client_secret and grant_type = password. However, I get this error: "AADSTS50076: Due to a configuration change made by your administrator, or because you moved to a new location, you must use multi-factor authentication to access", I tried to remove multi-factor authentication in Azure, but I noticed that it's not actually enabled, so it's like it's set by default, how can I fix it?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

8 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Atul 0 Reputation points
    2025-01-02T14:23:27.3766667+00:00

    This is indeed a nasty bug and because of this Microsoft Azure kept me me away for three days from subscription that I was given access to. This issue suddenly emerged. When everything was working fine, one fine day I just stopped getting notification to Microsoft Authenticator, without any reason!

    Solution is you need your admin (in my case it was my client's admin) to revoke MFA for your user id.

    1. Admin need to go here: https://portal.azure.com/#home
    2. Then <Your org>| Users -> Users -> <your username>
    3. You will see screen something like this ((The screenshot below shows these options disabled but for an Admin it should be enabled)AdminNeedToRevokeReregisterMFA_to_pot_on_forums

    Here the admin has to click on "Require re-register multifactor authentication" and "Revoke multifactor authentication sessions"

    1. Ask admin to do this for all directories (with and without subscriptions)
    2. Once done, try logging in to your Azure account and try to access subscription on https://portal.azure.com#home This time it will run you through wizard as if you are adding Microsoft Authenticator for the first time. Once the wizard is complete you are all set.

    This is so bad on the part of Microsoft that they didn't even care to see if authenticator has received or not the notification (verification numbers) they sent to it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Juan Manuel Conde 0 Reputation points
    2024-06-11T20:36:39.9833333+00:00

    configurar acceso condicional si es que esta deshabilitada las politicas de seguridad predeterminada. se puede usar plantillas de seguridad y excluir a las cuentas de sistema como la que usas en Azure ad connect. tienen un nombre asi "On-Premises Directory Synchronization Service Account"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Harshvir Bhati 26 Reputation points
    2024-03-14T15:25:34.7433333+00:00

    Hello,

    I just had the issue and I was able to resolve it after the az login command on PowerShell, then I ran the az get access token.

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.